Golden Laced Wyandotte Thread!

Pics
I have one SL Wyandotte that has been laying a few weeks and as of today the other has started laying. The first one layed a little egg the first week and then it was double in size one day. Today I got a starter egg from the other one. Out of all my breeds they are the first to start laying and during winter. Now if my GL will start we are in business. I figure she should start by the end of the month. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
So I have a 27 week old GLW. She is one of 4 pullets I have. She shows some signs of be ready to lay (red comb and big red wattles, also squats when startled). My problem is she has startled to become aggressive to my 2 younger pullets. They are 7 weeks younger and this is new. She is pulling out their tail feathers. I like in a semi-rural suburb and really don't have room to separate her. I'm wondering if she might calm down once she starts laying. Could she just be hormonal, or should I think about rehoming her. I would really prefer not to, but I can't have her endangering my other two.

Here's my girl, she's an older girl (around 2-3) but I got a discount on her and she still lays eggs, a very sweet girl when she's in the mood to be. I hope to get a few chicks from her this spring. Pearline

A while back ago, I discussed my "mad scientist" project here, about using color-cull black phase BLRs over hatchery GLWs, and at the end was asked to post progress pics. Here is Bigfoot, my best cockerel from my first hatch, October 19th. He is 13-1/2 weeks old in this pic. (I marked his comb with Blu-Kote so I don't accidentally grab him in the dark tonight when I fish out the other cockerels for caponizing.)

My glw hens i got as chicks april 15,2015 and not one has laided an egg yet. Is that normal or are they sterile. They came from meyer hatchery.

My glw hens i got as chicks april 15,2015 and not one has laided an egg yet. Is that normal or are they sterile. They came from meyer hatchery.

I doubt they're sterile. I think they should have begun laying already but much depends upon how they're housed, what they're fed and the weather will also affect laying.

It has gotten below 0* F for 3 days in a row I'm told by my son who is caring for our place in West Virginia while I'm on vacation and he tells me that even the Dark Cornish are laying far better than we could have hoped. We use no lights and the birds are in a very well ventilated building.

"My glw hens i got as chicks april 15,2015 and not one has laided an egg yet. Is that normal or are they sterile. They came from meyer hatchery."

Pandapaws23, that means they are 9 months old, correct? I also got a some chicks from Meyer Hatchery last April, and they have been laying for some time. This might sound like a stupid question, but is there any way they could all be roosters? I'm only asking because when I received my first batch of Wyandottes from Meyer in October of 2014, all of my GLW hens turned out to be roosters. They were very good about reimbursing me, by the way.

I agree with Hellbender that weather, feed, lighting, etc. could be affecting them. Another possible factor could be environmental hazards such as pollutants, radiation, etc? Or some weird stressing agent such as a noisy dog, machinery, or something of that nature. Barring all of these, you may want to use some artificial lighting to lengthen the days a little, And make sure they always have fresh water and plenty of high quality feed. Good luck!

[COLOR=333333]"My glw hens i got as chicks april 15,2015 and not one has laided an egg yet. Is that normal or are they sterile. They came from meyer hatchery."[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Pandapaws23, that means they are 9 months old, correct? I also got a some chicks from Meyer Hatchery last April, and they have been laying for some time. This might sound like a stupid question, but is there any way they could all be roosters? I'm only asking because when I received my first batch of Wyandottes from Meyer in October of 2014, all of my GLW hens turned out to be roosters. They were very good about reimbursing me, by the way.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]I agree with Hellbender that weather, feed, lighting, etc. could be affecting them.  Another possible factor could be environmental hazards such as pollutants, radiation, etc? Or some weird stressing agent such as a noisy dog, machinery, or something of that nature. Barring all of these, you may want to use some artificial lighting to lengthen the days a little, And make sure they always have fresh water and plenty of high quality feed. Good luck![/COLOR]

Nope there defiantly hens as ive seen my glw roo mate them they bow but they been doing that for weeks already. I have a light in the coop but still nothing.

Nope there defiantly hens as ive seen my glw roo mate them they bow but they been doing that for weeks already. I have a light in the coop but still nothing.

Are you sure they don't have a hidden nest? I find my GLW girls like to lay anywhere but the nestboxes, I find their eggs in the dog house, under the tractor, behind the garden shed, under the rose bushes, etc. It's an Easter Egg hunt every day!

Back
Top Bottom