My Goldens did not have ear problems. Don't know what you mean by hot spots. Although my last Golden had nasty allergies (does that sound familiar? itchy skin, dull coat, digestive issues? in some critters, ear infections might also follow.).
Once he was switched to grain free, minimal ingredient food all these issues cleared up quite quickly. He was healthier, also happier.
His overall health changed so much that now, all my dogs are on grain free diets.

Thank you, that is good to know it could be allergies and an easy fix. From what I have read, Goldens are more prone to allergies? And hot spots are like itchy, red, irritated, wet spots, that they lick a lot and it turns into an infection or like a red spot. Gator got them sometimes and he had to get meds from the vet but I think you can treat them at home too.

Lots of allergies can be from a bad dog food, or just food allergies, so maybe goldens in general are more sensitive to certain ingredients. I know my boxers and rat terrier will have problems with corn in the food, and my Aussies get runny poops if there are too many peas and pea sources in a food. So it could be just finding the best food. All my dogs do great on Taste of the Wild. Some people have strong negative ideas about that brand due to past problems. I personally can't find any brand that compares.

Yeah, every dog is definitely very different. I knew someone that had a dog that was allergic to potatoes and some dogs are allergic to chicken or beef. I think Goldens are prone to allergies.

Certain breeds are prone to certain problems like boxers and cancer. It does seem like I read something somewhere about goldens and allergies. Sounds like your dad wants the lab?

Yeah, Goldens are prone to cancer too unfortunately. And allergies but that’s manageable. And well, he has said if we can find a healthy Golden he would prefer a Golden but the health problems deter/worry him.

Yeah, Goldens are prone to cancer too unfortunately. And allergies but that’s manageable. And well, he has said if we can find a healthy Golden he would prefer a Golden but the health problems deter/worry him.
Well not every member of a breed has that breeds problems. Finding a breeder that's honest about their dogs, and one who only breeds from healthy stable mature stock can minimize problems. If you guys prefer golden than I would go that route and find exactly what you want. Next would be researching breeders and potentially getting on a waiting list.

Well not every member of a breed has that breeds problems. Finding a breeder that's honest about their dogs, and one who only breeds from healthy stable mature stock can minimize problems. If you guys prefer golden than I would go that route and find exactly what you want. Next would be researching breeders and potentially getting on a waiting list.

That’s true and exactly my thoughts but he doesn’t seem to believe there are Goldens without ear problems lol

And oh I’ve already done a lot of research lol, have about a million different bookmarks with many different breeders of many different breeds :lau

I actually really like this one I happened to stumble upon a few months ago, their Danny/Truly litter sounds perfect for me; Danno sounds like the perfect Golden and I was thinking of getting on the waiting list but idk if I’m ready yet and I keep thinking maybe I should save more but they literally sound like the perfect dog for me so I don’t want to miss out so idk. They took her to be bred to him I think on like the 5th and they just posted on their Facebook page the other day that she has been confirmed pregnant, expected due date February 7th. Their other spring litter sounds good too but Danno and Truly sound literally perfect.

https://grapevinegoldens.com/litters/

The description is mostly about Danno so here is Truly’s page with info on her.

https://grapevinegoldens.com/our-girls/truly/

And their home page.

https://grapevinegoldens.com/

They look amazing. If you aren't ready than definitely wait until you are. There will be other dogs. Puppies are a big commitment and they take a long while to raise properly.

I myself am thinking about a Australian shepherds because of you. :) I just don't currently have the room for another.

They look amazing. If you aren't ready than definitely wait until you are. There will be other dogs. Puppies are a big commitment and they take a long while to raise properly.

I myself am thinking about a Australian shepherds because of you. :) I just don't currently have the room for another.

Right!? That’s what I thought!! With those parents, I bet they will be amazing puppies. Or I could go with a slightly less drivey/energetic but still trainable dog and go with the other parents (DeeDee and Brix) but I really think the Truly/Danno litter sounds amazing and I love the look of the darker, taller Goldens anyway. Tall, dark, and handsome :lau

And, well, I think I would be ready in spring or early summer, these ones would be ready around April, but the problem is that for spring litters you have to fill out the application now or sooner and I’m not sure if I’m ready to fill out an application just yet even though I would be ready for a puppy in the spring, if that makes sense? But then again I think I am ready for another dog because I wanted my own dog to train even when Gator was still alive but couldn’t get a second dog with him. But there I kind of think maybe I should wait 6 months to 1 year instead so I can save some more money but this litter sounds incredible and if I am going to have the dog for 12+ years, I don’t want to miss out on such an incredible litter.

Aw you should totally get one!! I can understand not having room though. Maybe after one of your other dogs passes? Hopefully that won’t be for a while though.

Currently my bed is surrounded by dogs at night. No where for another to sleep in there. :) I like getting late summer early fall puppies. By the time they are in that trouble making stage the ground freezes and the snow entertains and helps to tire them out.

It is hard to pass up puppies. I find I always end up with the one I was supposed to get no matter how I try to arrange it all.

Currently my bed is surrounded by dogs at night. No where for another to sleep in there. :) I like getting late summer early fall puppies. By the time they are in that trouble making stage the ground freezes and the snow entertains and helps to tire them out.

It is hard to pass up puppies. I find I always end up with the one I was supposed to get no matter how I try to arrange it all.

Aww true! I think I would either let mine on the bed or put the bed in my room. I think I’d feel safer with the dog in the room. And that’s a good point! Dogs loveee snow and it is cool enough to exercise. But then again in warmer seasons, they can swim which is also good for getting energy out.

And that is very true. I am sure I will find the one I should get eventually.

Back
Top Bottom