Golden Pheasant? Is this possibly wild?

jstlitlome

Songster
6 Years
Mar 11, 2013
Missouri
My neighbor came over today all excited because he thought he caught one of my chickens! We laughed and laughed and said "thats not a chicken, thats a pheasant" and then he let it go in the woods.

Now I think maybe we let a domestic pheasant into the wild. We have gray foxes in those woods. ooops..

so what is this? I may not see it again, but if I do, I want to do the right thing. Can I put it in with my chickens? Or should i just find someone local who raises pheasants? Its a beautiful bird, I'd love to have it, but not sure how my hens would incorporate it.

Thanks!

Leslie

Definitely looks like a young red golden pheasant -- maybe a year old. He's just beginning to get his adult plumage. I'd be wary of putting it in with your chickens -- they can catch illnesses from each other. I'm surprised your neighbor was able to catch it in the first place, but they make great beginner pheasants if you can catch it again.

Do they live ok in the wild? Or, if I see it again, should I catch it and try to place it with someone who raises them? Just thinking about it's welfare. I feel kind of bad that we just let it go!

More than likely it won't live since most are raised in captivity they don't know how to fend for themselves. Then the other thing is you said you have foxes which hunt at night and pheasants bed down at night making him a easy dinner. If you can find him I would also wait until night and catch him with a flash light since they normally don't move. Sure hope you find him because he looked to have nice marking already.

(1) Don't attempt to catch him during day light. It will only scare him farther away. Waite until dark. (2) Use a long handled net. That will GREATLY improve your odds of getting him. (3) His chances of lasting more than a week in the wild is about zero. You apparently have someone near by who lost him. If you can't find the owner try finding someone who is familiar with pheasants and will take him. (4) If nothing else works and you can catch him, putting him with your chickens is better than nothing. Yes, there is a chance he could pick up a disease from your chickens but if you have a clean area with health birds that chance will be slim. He has nothing that will spread to your birds. He's a fine looking little guy, hope you rescue him.

Back
Top Bottom