Pheasant whistles/ Trying to catch escaped pheasant?

Maiahr

Crowing
Jul 21, 2019
Bulgaria, a country in Eastern Europe
My Coop
My Coop
I have a pair of Red golden pheasants. Last week the male escaped and flew out in the wild (I live in a rural area). Today though he came back and was around the fence, I suppose hungry and thirsty, trying to come back in the garden. I tried to catch him, no success and he flew out again in the wild. So my plan for tomorrow is to cut the wings of the female, so she can't fly and leave her free range in the garden. Hopefully she will call him and he will come back in the garden (at least safe from all predators that we have).
Now, I also checked and apparently we have available in the country some 'pheasant whistles', used by hunters to attract pheasants.
It may sound silly, but do ALL pheasant breeds make the same sounds? If I buy one of these whistles will it be for the most common breed of pheasants or their sounds are the same and it will attract the male?

It is very difficult to retrieve escaped pheasants……I have only been successful twice (with the same bird) like yours, he would come back to the yard to be near the rest of the flock. I put food out and we were finally able to carefully coax him back inside. Sometimes you can catch them with a net or a pheasant trap (there’s one pictured in a thread, I believe @007Sean posted it). :fl :fl You manage to reunite him with the female.

I have a pair of Red golden pheasants. Last week the male escaped and flew out in the wild (I live in a rural area). Today though he came back and was around the fence, I suppose hungry and thirsty, trying to come back in the garden. I tried to catch him, no success and he flew out again in the wild. So my plan for tomorrow is to cut the wings of the female, so she can't fly and leave her free range in the garden. Hopefully she will call him and he will come back in the garden (at least safe from all predators that we have).
Now, I also checked and apparently we have available in the country some 'pheasant whistles', used by hunters to attract pheasants.
It may sound silly, but do ALL pheasant breeds make the same sounds? If I buy one of these whistles will it be for the most common breed of pheasants or their sounds are the same and it will attract the male?

It is very difficult to retrieve escaped pheasants……I have only been successful twice (with the same bird) like yours, he would come back to the yard to be near the rest of the flock. I put food out and we were finally able to carefully coax him back inside. Sometimes you can catch them with a net or a pheasant trap (there’s one pictured in a thread, I believe @007Sean posted it). :fl :fl You manage to reunite him with the female.
Don't waste your money on the call or whistle! A recall trap or a big dip net will work if you can find and catch it while it's roosting. If you can leave the gate/door open to the garden run or pen? ....he will more than likely go inside and then you can close the gate/door.
I wouldn't clip the hens wings either, she might escape too! She wouldn't have anyway to get away from a predator, if her wings are clipped besides trying to out run it.
@muddy75 , I've slept since I posted that thread :lau I don't know which one, because I have posted it several times.
Here's some examples from the web...similar but mine is bigger than this pic, it's what I use to recatch my escaped birds....only had one bird I was unable to catch (Corona).
2Q==.jpg

9k=.jpg

Close up of the funnel opening leading into the trap.
You don't necessarily have to put water or a feeder in the trap for it to work.

Thank you! He is outside in the wild, I searched for him 2 nights, cannot find where he is roosting. I am going out again to look out for him, completely dark in here now. It is a bit scary though to be out in the night because of the jackals and the bear. Even my huge dog is scared of the jackals.
I also put a cage with food, similar to the trap, as we don't have such traps here.
Now, back to the whistle - so you think it won't work???

I've only had a few of my ring necked pheasants escape but they hanged around for quite sometime before they finally disappeared....on the other hand, my ornamentals disappeared within one day or over night. Goldens, Amherst, Elliotts, etc...don't seem to have any survival instincts left to avoid predators.

Back
Top Bottom