Golden pheasant just adopted me!! - PIC

That's neat! Similar thing happened to me a while back except mine was a chukar partridge. Came out of no where and would not LEAVE.

He now lives with the chickens, somewhat content, despite being at the bottom of the pecking order with birds 3x its size.

Do you get pheasent shoots in your erea ?, i live in England and this is the time of year when shoots are held, afterwoods there are a few lost pheasents wandering around , they managed to get away without harm but they dont know where to go back to, it breaks my heart when i see them wandering around the country side, i had one the other day looking longingly through the fence at my cosy chicken coop from the field next door, if it came into the garden i would make it very welcome. i hate these type of sports.

Quote:
It's beautiful, but definitley not wild... Notice the leg band. If only one of these would adopt me!

Yeah, see following post... the bird looks just like this pic, same coloring and everything, but the pic is one from the Internet, not an actual pic of my 'visitor'.

Quote:
It's funny how social they are, even within variations of the species. They like to be with other birds! Or, maybe it's just the appeal of the food and bird-friendly setting.
smile.png

Quote:
I don't doubt that there may be pheasant shoots. Or, it's a rural area and I know there are plenty of chicken coops, so it's quite possible that someone's raising other fowl. I've seen chukars crossing the road nearby (in a long line)! One of the funnier scenes at a stoplight when the line of chukars kept the cars from moving (yay chukars, run! run!). They got away safely to the other side and beyond were some woods.

As for pheasants, your story is soooo sad, about the pheasant looking longingly at your cozy coop. It probably doesn't know how to survive in the wild and is hungry. I'm sure when this little pheasant saw the bowls of food for my pasture range turkeys, he thought, 'hey, just like home!' and flew over. Actually he crawled through my chicken fence through the holes and was going in and out of there. Somehow he figured it out but the chickens never do.

I didn't see him today (was away all day), but will take a photo later, if I can.

He looks to be about a month older than ours, and our guy is about 5 months old. Your guy sure is handsome. They are really fun to watch. We have a parent pair, and hatched out 5 this summer. Got lucky and hatched out 1 male and 4 female. I love just sitting and watching them. Wait until he gets his full color. They are absolutely gorgeous. You will really like them.

Golden pheasants are not game birds nor are the generally used as such--those that are released for hunting are ringneck pheasants. I suspect yours was raised as a pet and either escaped or was released.

Back
Top Bottom