Golden pheasant just adopted me!! - PIC

chickenannie

Songster
12 Years
Nov 19, 2007
Pennsylvania
I was moving my turkey fencing tonight, and noticed a small bird hanging out with them in the pasture. It looks just like this, and I think it might be a young pheasant (I googled pics trying to figure out what it was until I saw this one that it looked like). I don't know where it came from, but it must have gotten loose, or lost, or something. It's so pretty! It makes kind of a longish high-pitched sound along with some shorter chirps. It's not very scared of me, so I assume it belongs to someone or they didn't want it anymore (I looked, but it didn't have any leg tag). This is the second time in 4 years this happened! The other one was a sweet little Old English hen (I think) that still lives here and lays eggs with the chickens, etc. That time I spent a considerable amount of effort phoning all the neighbors and anyone I thought it might belong to and everyone thought I was nuts, so I'm just going to let this little bird decide on it's own where it wants to live. Right now it's just roosting out on the fence near the others. I feel like a lucky girl!
4957_young_red_golden_pheasant.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
That is a beautiful little birds, you are lucky! Just remember biosecurity hun and be careful as it may have been exposed to diseases.

Yeah, I thought of that too, but what do you do if your birds are outside on range pasture, and the bird just hangs around?

Quote:
That is a beautiful little birds, you are lucky! Just remember biosecurity hun and be careful as it may have been exposed to diseases.

Yeah, I thought of that too, but what do you do if your birds are outside on range pasture, and the bird just hangs around?

I personally would add oxine to the water supply and then watch for any potential problems. If you see it poop you could have a local vet test it for any parasites, etc. Other than that? Try to cuddle it
big_smile.png

Try to bribe it with treats so it sticks around and maybe will eventually roost at night, I'd be worried about predators, especially with plumage so bright!

sounds like you have someone that knows you have fowl and would take care of the unwanted birds their kids bring home, either that or you live close to a dumping ground and the birds instinctively migrate to your flock. as long as the birds are clean healthy and disease free no problem just watch when they start sending their sick birds to your pasture.

Back
Top Bottom