Golden Phoenix

Chickenfiend

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 16, 2008
Bellville OH
Can i keep my 3 australorp hens and roo with a golden phoenix roo they will be raised together? Could that be to many roos for for the hens causing the males to fight?

My phoenix roo is quite happy to share the coop with my 2 silkie roos and 1 JG roo. Keep in mind that Peter may be the exception, not the rule. Peter is a very gentle senior citizen. The younger ones were hatched in February and March. When they left the brooder, they were kept in cages in the coop where the older birds could see them. When they were big enough, I released them into the general population. Peter wouldn't even let his hens harrass the babies. He kept peace in the coop. Now that the weather is nice, everybody free ranges during the day. The old rooster is very tolerant of the younger boys, and the younger boys seem to respect him. The only conflict comes when Rodney (the JG roo) gets rough with one of the girls and makes her squawk. Peter comes running and kicks Rodney in the butt. He actually jumps up and gives him a kung fu kick in the rear. Then Rodney screams like a baby and runs off. Peter allows Rodney to mate with the girls, but he has to be nice.

Back
Top Bottom