Golden Sebright - Can you tell if it is a boy or girl?

Redhead Hen

Songster
10 Years
Apr 14, 2009
Rising Sun, Maryland
I am not sure if Tiny is a girl of boy. I got Tiny from TSC about 4 weeks ago and I was not sure what Tiny was. So I posted here and was told Golden Sebright. Here are some pics and if you can tell me "boy or girl" that would be super! I understand that Tiny may be still a bit too young to sex - I can live with that too...
sad.png
wink.png

Tiny on April 18th. I got Tiny on April 17th.
DSC01311.jpg

Tiny on April 26th.
DSC01333.jpg

Tiny on May 4th.
DSC01369.jpg

Tiny on May 14th.
DSC01396.jpg

Thanks for looking and offering any guesses!
smile.png

I think it's a bit early to tell. Sebrights are hen-feathered - so you won't have the advantage of pointed feathers to identify a male. How old is Tiny?

I got Tiny on April 17th from TSC. They got chicks in the store earlier that week. So, I would *guess* that Tiny was maybe 4 days old when I got him/her. So, that would make Tiny about a month old now.

I kinda figured Tiny would be hard to sex.
hmm.png
I also got a d'Uccle at the same time and I am pretty sure that one is a boy. There is quite a bit of chest bumping between those two. They are in a brooder with my Silkie and they leave the silkie out of the chest bumps. That got me thinking that *maybe* Tiny was a boy like the d'Uccle. But I don't know - or maybe I'm hoping Tiny is a girl! I'm not sure how well 2 bantam roos will do together!
roll.png

Sebright roos pink up pretty quick, usually by about 2 weeks you can tell the boys from the girls without any doubt.

On The May 4th pic I would say pullet, on the 14th pic I can't tell since the head is overlit. If it has any pink on the comb, any at all, its a roo; pullets will pretty much stay black.

My 2 little Sebrights I got from TSC were doing their chest bumping thing. I still don't know if their boys or girls!lol Might have to post later.

Quote:
The comb is not pink at all! It is still pretty black or grey/black. Sorry about the pic, Tiny does not like to sit still! LOL! And my lighting is not the best. But the comb looks the same as the May 4th pic. So Tiny is a girl!
celebrate.gif

Quote:
Chest bumping does not have anything to do with the sex of a chick. All do it.

Sebright roos pink up pretty quick, usually by about 2 weeks you can tell the boys from the girls without any doubt.

Two weeks sounds way too early. I could tell mine by four weeks for sure. I had one rooster whose comb was dark though, and i currently have a hen whose comb only has a little red in it. Needless to say that the roo's eventually became all red.

Give them a few more weeks. Then you'll know.​

Redhead Hen wrote: I'm hoping Tiny is a girl! I'm not sure how well 2 bantam roos will do together!

I have two bantie roos together in a coop and ive never seen them fight. Just my dominant roo showing the other he is 'King of the Coop' in other words he occasionally pecks hm harder than normal.​

I had 2 RIR roos and they did fine together as well. I was just now sure if there would be problems with Banty Roos. I am thinking they may be fine together since they are growing up together.

I am hoping Tiny is a girl, but time will tell for sure! Thanks to all who chimed in! I will probably post pics of Tiny in a few weeks. Maybe get some shots of them all outside where the lighting is sooo much better and my flash does not white out features on the chicks!

Thanks again!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom