Golf ball theory for egglaying?

* I've tried a golfball AND a ceramic egg. Chook's response is like " Somethin's HERE already!!! I better go drop my egg all the way on the other side of the yard. "
hmm.png

Sounds like a load of bollox to me. More of a wives tale, like spinning a needle over a chick to learn its sex. One of those delicious, lurid things we love to tell that "always works" - or not at all.

BUT, never let it be said that I wont try something. Ill give this a shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have eight nest boxes - two have golf balls and one has a green tennis ball - the others are empty. They lay where the golf balls are - won't go near the tennis ball and dust in the other nests.

I had actually considered a tennis ball too... just to keep them on their toes!
wink.png

I found wooden eggs at a gift shop last week and bought 8 of them for $1.00 each. Now there is one in each nest along with the next with the golfball...just in case they can't remember what that nest if for!!

The golf ball trick seems to work good for finding a dedicated layer,I just make sure to use a ball with a stripe so I don't try to make an omelet out of it.
The hens that loved sitting on the golf balls became my incubaters,the rest were just egg producers.

Back
Top Bottom