Golf balls in the nest box Question????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by write2caroline, Sep 6, 2009.

1. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    What is the purpose of the golf ball in the nest box? Is it to encourage the ladies to sit upon the ball or is it to encourage them to lay eggs, or to test for broodyness?

Is their a favorite type of ball? Just Kidding. My Hubby is going to think I am nuts for taking his golf balls for the chickens - not that he would be lacking in golf balls - I know he comes home with more than he uses because he loves finding them and saving them from the water hazards while waiting to putt.

Seriously - Do I need to do this? My big girls are 15 weeks old so they are a little young - but one has really red waddles and comb and has been hanging out in the roosting area?

Cal
    Jax FL
    [​IMG]

2. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Amazingly these work great to get them to lay in the nest boxes. Another thing is if any are missing you know you have a chicken snake getting in your nest area. Usually I use 1-2 in a couple of nests. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Okay - the test for snakes is a good enough reason right their to commondeer the golf balls for the chickens! I know we have snakes - seen some in the yard small ones and the cats get them and play with them from time to time. But I will try it out and see what happens!

Thanks
    Caroline
    jax FL:lol:

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Yes, they work as a lure to get the hens to lay in the nest boxes. It seems that chickens are also affected by 'empty nest syndrome', and like to know their eggs are not alone [​IMG]

5. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    We did it the 1st year we had chickens and I guess it just kinda clicks in their cute little chicken heads......That is where the eggs go! [​IMG] It worked for us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by