Gone all day, baby chicks??!?! Also, integrating???? HELP

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Iheartchicks<3:), Mar 1, 2011.

1. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    so im wondering if i should get chicks. I only have one hen now and my rooster is in dire need of more hens, Shelly too! So im wondering, with me being gone from 7am to 5pm could i still get chicks? They would be in a predator proof area with food and water, and people would check on them a few times a day.. Is this okay? I am also wondering about integrating... Im thinking, will i be able to put my chicks out at a couple weeks old (all feathered of course) When they are just a wee bit smaller than my batnam hen? She is really nice and it around 6 months old.. Im worried about my EE rooster though... he is a bully! We are able to separate our run, but not our coop and im not able to build another one.. What do i do???

2. sawmane1

sawmane1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Mcminnville, Oregon
    that should work but the rooster... [​IMG] you can also by pullets from certain breeders too.

3. Iheartchicks<3:)

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Quote:I want chicks so that i know what they have been exposed too and because they are C-U-T-E!! So should i try and give away my rooster?

4. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I would put them in a brooder with heat, food and water. I would NOT recommend to put them with full sized hen and a Roo. Brooder is the way to go if you do not have a broody Hen. I would consider giving away your Rooster to a responsible person. I hope this helps!

Nate

5. Iheartchicks<3:)

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Quote:I would put them in after they are about 2 months old.. not now! haha., And i cant find anyone that will take my rooster [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by