Gone and done it

Wxguru

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 2, 2014
ARKANSAS
Paid for my order of chicks from Meyer Hatchery today, so I am 100% committed at this point! Is it normal to feel like your going to puke from excitement? Lol. Can't wait to get them. I figure they were laid today.....as our shipment goes out on the 27-28th of October.
Ordered 6--3 Black Australorps, 2 Buff Orpingtons, and 1 Golden Buff--and Meyer's said since it is 6, they will come Express Mail...which I like better. Should be here next day, and hopefully that cuts way down on the stress.
Now to kick coop build into overdrive. I have the floor framed...and that's it. Hoping to get it done next week....I took vacation days to do it, so better be productive! Cant wait! :)

Pretty exciting! Are these your first chicks? You'll have to share a picture with us when you get them.

Oh, and did you tell your post office & mail delivery person when they would be coming? We did that and gave them our telephone number so when the truck was unloaded at the PO that morning, they called us to let us know to come pick them up (it was around 8:30am). That saved the little ones from bouncing around in the mail delivery person's truck on her route all day.

Have fun with your new birds!

yep, first time chicken owner. I have the wife and kiddos excited too! And will be calling the post office about 3 days out to let them know. We ship a ton thru the post office so know our postal folks real well.

yep, first time chicken owner. I have the wife and kiddos excited too! And will be calling the post office about 3 days out to let them know. We ship a ton thru the post office so know our postal folks real well.
thumbsup.gif

Sounds like you're off to a great start!

You're building a coop, but do you have a brooder and all the brooder accessories ready to go? You won't actually need the coop for 5 weeks as they will need a heat source until then :)

Brooder will be built Saturday! Picking up all the supplies tomorrow
smile.png
You can go to Wal-marts and pick up a brooder and heat light for 6 chicks. I use the 36 to 50 gallon plastic totes, but I usually got alot more chicks. I just hang the heat light in one end so they can get as close or far away as they want. I been using them for years. I use news paper or wood chips for bedding. I have 4 of them going right now as well as 2 factory brooders.

I do not use the lid over the top, just a old window screen when they get big enough to start flying.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion! I have a ton of natural wood siding left over from pallets and fencing that I am going to recycle into a brooder box...and then use that box for chicken supplies when they are booted out into the coop! :)

Back
Top Bottom