Gone off lay!

Chuckkeeper

Songster
Jul 13, 2020
Yorkshire, England
Hi all

I came into possession of 6 black orps on 22 July. They're all aged 2-3 years according to the owner. On day 1, I had 2 eggs - but have had nothing since.

They've got access to a 20ft x 10ft run, with some greenery, and unlimited layers. It's hard to tell if they're moulting or just messy birds!

When might they lay again, or might they have retired? Any tips to support them to settle in and lay?

Thanks

Hi all

I came into possession of 6 black orps on 22 July. They're all aged 2-3 years according to the owner. On day 1, I had 2 eggs - but have had nothing since.

They've got access to a 20ft x 10ft run, with some greenery, and unlimited layers. It's hard to tell if they're moulting or just messy birds!

When might they lay again, or might they have retired? Any tips to support them to settle in and lay?

Thanks
I doubt they retired. Pictures? What do you feed? Search the perimeter for secret nests.

I doubt they retired. Pictures? What do you feed? Search the perimeter for secret nests.
The first 2 eggs were in the coop nesting box, so I hope they know where it is. There isn't really much space for anything secret, as it's essentially a grassed area with a fence, so all pretty easy to see. Here's some pics :) they've eat predominantly layers pellets... With very little access to anything else, Inc treats.

Attachments

• IMG_20210813_172159.jpg
    IMG_20210813_172159.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20210722_185357.jpg
    IMG_20210722_185357.jpg
    957.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210722_185149__01__01.jpg
    IMG_20210722_185149__01__01.jpg
    585.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20210722_185413.jpg
    IMG_20210722_185413.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
The first 2 eggs were in the coop nesting box, so I hope they know where it is. There isn't really much space for anything secret, as it's essentially a grassed area with a fence, so all pretty easy to see. Here's some pics :) they've eat predominantly layers pellets... With very little access to anything else, Inc treats.
Can you get a picture of their butts? I know its weird, but its important

This any good? One I already had on the phone. I want to breed from them, so I did trim all feathers around the vent on day 1. Some of them needed a tidy up anyway, with some matting etc.
Do they have poop on their feathers? Cant really tell...also, you dont need to trim feathers for them to breed. What percent protein do they eat?

They did have, yeah - so trimmed to get rid of the lumps of matted stuff. Since I did this it hasn't returned. I don't plan to do that again, thankfully!
Check their butts for wounds and pin feathers. Look under the vent for wounds and in areas where they are missing feathers for pin feathers. Pin feathers would mean molting. A wound may mean flystrike, hoping not, but its better to be safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom