Marans stopped laying

KWD

Hatching
Oct 10, 2023
Hi everyone :frow

This is my first post and I appreciate any help I can get!!

A wee back story: I have a hobby farm with ducks, Guinea fowl, blue azure hens, silkies, lavender Orpington and Marans.
I have multiple poultry houses and chickens in different areas of my farm- they aren't overcrowded.

My Marans hens have stopped laying, really for months now. I'm in Ontario, Canada. They stopped in July when we have the longest amount of daylight.
My other hens/ducks/guineas haven't stopped laying.
They will, on occasion, lay an egg that is soft.

1)All of my poultry has free roam outside during the day.
2) They have access to layer, oyster shell, grit and water 24/7
3) They get fresh fruit and veg
4) No rooster
5) No poultry lice
6) I have tried changing the brand of layer crum and got different oyster sell
7)No chemicals or pesticides
8)I don't believe they are moulting- certainly not all 3 at the same time.
9)Nothing I can think of that would have caused them stress

I think that's all!

I have had chickens for years and my husband his whole life. We are totally stumped. I will be so appreciative to anyone who can solve this mystery.

Thanks!
Kelsey

All of my poultry has free roam outside during the day.
Good chance she's laying out in range area.

Time for an exam:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Then maybe:
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

There might be several reasons:

They have access to layer, oyster shell, grit and water 24/7
As a dual purpose breed Marans often don't do well with having access to feed 24/7.
Depending on their genetic setup/strain they will first get rather meaty and then very fat which interferes with egg laying.
Good chance she's laying out in range area.
This^^.
Happens quite often.
The linked "butt check" will tell you soon enough if they are laying still.

I have searched the yard quite well. I'm 90% they aren't laying outside but I could be wrong!
I will do that vent exam, thank you!

I do get a “soft” egg from them every once in a while…

Should I take the food away in the evenings?

I have searched the yard quite well. I'm 90% they aren't laying outside but I could be wrong!
Eggs laid outside the coop will be eaten by wildlife, so I don't expect you to find any.
I do get a “soft” egg from them every once in a while…
How many Marans do you have?

I would give them each a calcium citrate 600 + vitamin D + K for 7-10 days.
Should I take the food away in the evenings?
What is the protein percentage of their feed and what the main ingredient?

You could weigh the Marans to determine if they are still within the normal weight range for their breed. And while doing so, check their butts to feel if they might have accumulated a fat pad underneath their vent.
Take a look at their vents too: rosy colored and sightly moist means healthy and not overweight.
Yellow and dry means overweight, fat and not laying.

If you find that they are too fat/ overweight, let them have the pellets until around noon and just feed a bit of field peas for the night right before roosting time.

Eggs laid outside the coop will be eaten by wildlife, so I don't expect you to find any.

How many Marans do you have?

I would give them each a calcium citrate 600 + vitamin D + K for 7-10 days.

What is the protein percentage of their feed and what the main ingredient?

You could weigh the Marans to determine if they are still within the normal weight range for their breed. And while doing so, check their butts to feel if they might have accumulated a fat pad underneath their vent.
Take a look at their vents too: rosy colored and sightly moist means healthy and not overweight.
Yellow and dry means overweight, fat and not laying.

If you find that they are too fat/ overweight, let them have the pellets until around noon and just feed a bit of field peas for the night right before roosting time.
My Guinea’s will occasionally lay outside and I find eggs. I do have a fairly “locked down” situation- all fencing 5 feet with an extra foot buried into the ground. I know that doesn’t control jays/crows and ravens. But I do suspect I would at least find one as I do find some from the other poultry.

I only have 3 Marans, they are in with my lavenders. These girls seem to be high on the pecking order.

I will attach a picture of the feed guaranteed analysis.

I will also inspect vent area and get back to you!

I SOOO appreciate all your help!!

Back
Top Bottom