1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gonna do something for myself!! Take Knitting lessons :)

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by MeatKing, Dec 19, 2010.

1. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

They don't start till the end febuary, but I can't wait. Still have to tell dh, that he will have to 'babysit for 3 hours on a few Saterdays. I know he won't be happy, but, geez.. I work full time, take care of family stuff on weekends. It's time for me [​IMG] Wish me luck in breaking the news to him.

2. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    I think it is great for you to do something like that.. We all need "Me" time. Good luck with the DH.

3. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank-you Mrs FuzzyButts,

I've gone ahead and thought well lets google how to knit and see what comes back.. lots [​IMG] I might just try to start now.

4. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    That's a great idea. It would help you when class starts too. You would have a working idea of what is going on! [​IMG]

5. cmb19

cmb19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    PA
    I taught myself how to knit with a DVD my grandma gave me for Christmas a couple years ago. I've made a dish cloth and started a scarf, but that's because I get distracted and don't finish what I start. If for some reason you can't get to the classes, (or you're someone just reading this post and would like to learn knitting) definitely try to find a beginner's DVD.

6. NoelTate

NoelTate Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    Good for you! It's important that we take time out to do things for ourselves. Creating something artistic is good for the soul. It gives you a feeling of accomplishment and gets your creative juices flowing. When you learn how, send me a scarf! lol
    Actually, a friend I grew up with now lives in Atlanta. She has promised to teach me to knit my next trip up there. It might be a woman's kinda thing to do, but I am going to learn, anyway. I think it'll be fun to be able to make my own sweaters and scarves.

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    That's great! I find knitting to be very relaxing. At least, it was once I got the hang of it. [​IMG]

8. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Good for you!!!! I crochet, but don't know how to knit yet. I'd love to do the same thing for myself one day. I find crocheting very relaxing too. Did you know there is a knitting chat thread here in the Hobby sect some where? You should look for it and post. There are some very talented knitters & crocheters on the BYC site. Most everyone is sooo nice in helping and sharing. [​IMG]

9. itsachicken

itsachicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    St. Louis
    Have fun! I taught myself to knit from books and there are some great free videos on youtube. I'm a guy and I was too self conscious to take lessons in the beginning but now there's the whole "Men Who Knit" phenomena going on so I may be looking into to lessons so I can take my knitting to the next level. Once you get the hang of it it's very relaxing. I take a project with me on long trips or when I'm taking the inlaws to a dr's appointment. I can pretty much carry on a conversation while keeping my hands occupied. It seems less rude (and less frustrating) than reading a book because the MIL is quite a talker and sometimes we can spend a LONGGG time in the waiting room.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  10. soap&eggs

soap&eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    i am a beginner also..seems everyone grew up learning to knit or chroche..not me..((( why why why ???))) i have 7 grandbabies...two yrs ago i bought myself a book ..yarn & needles...LESSON # ONE : i had to teach myself to quit calling them..sticks and string..!!! ive always admired the ones who could basically take string and make useful items and clothing from it... after a few nights of practice knitting i jumped into it full force..in 2 weeks of just evening knitting i made 7 pairs of mittens..last winter i tried socks..lol..they did not turn out too nice..and my first scarf using leftover yarns from mittens..alot of mistakes ive made and truthfully i know not how to correct them so i just keep knitting ...someday i will figure out how to correct mistakes (( or not )) but is actually neat knowing i can do this..and if i can..anyone can !!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by