Good and Bad egg examples for newbies! Updated BYC Page!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LilDucky85, Apr 8, 2009.

1. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    I updated my BYC page. It has pictures and video of my egg candling, examples of fertile, infertile, and blood ring eggs, and other stuff from my journey this month! It might be helpful to first timers. I'm a first timer myself so Ive added things I woud have liked to see before I began hatching. If its helpful to anyone let me know!

Check it out!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=22594-my-first-hatching-journey

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  2. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Great job!!! Thanks. [​IMG]

3. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    Thank you! I wasnt sure about posting my little Blood ring quitter but I figured he wouldnt mind being showcased lol. Even if in death. [​IMG]

4. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    [​IMG] thats fantastic great job!!

5. Henny Penny #1

Henny Penny #1 Out Of The Brooder

Thanks for posting this. I am on day 4 of RIRs. I am trying to be patient and wait until Saturday to candle them to see if they are viable. I hope they are otherwise I will be disappointed. I hate waiting [​IMG]

6. perrym1962

perrym1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Eastview, Ky..
    Looks real good. Nice job...[​IMG]

7. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Great Pics

ETA: When people say they check their eggs when they arrive thru the mail to see if they are indeed fertile....what does that look like? I can't hardly tell...when I look at my freshly laid eggs (up to 2 days old) all I see is a clear egg that appears to be infertile...but some end up hatching...??

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  8. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Thanks for taking the time to put together images of the candled eggs. Very informative for a newbie like me!!!!

My hat's off to you, LilDucky85!!!

Ed

9. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

When we candle eggs that came through the mail, we are looking for damaged air cells, cracks in the shells or any other booboo that may cause an egg to explode in our precious incubators.

10. SunnyChic

SunnyChic Keep The Sunny Side Up

Mar 7, 2009
    [​IMG] Thanks so much for sharing your pics & video. I will be candling tomorrow for the very first time and this helps! Question: my eggs are in a turner (Genesis 1588 incubator); what's the best way to candle them without losing too much heat?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by