Good and bad news.

DUCKGIRL89

Songster
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
TN
Bad news first, will make better sense.

So, early last week my male pilgrim gosling died, his sister was so sad, she got weak, and barley ever moved for the first 2 days. Then she perked up, and it looked like she was doing great, but she wasn't I guess... She passed away Saturday evening....
hit.gif

GOOD NEWS!!!!!

I was so hoping to have adult geese by this winter, so they could be bred in he spring, so I talked to my mom, and she is letting me order 4 Buff Americans from Metzer farms!!!! I was kinda hoping they would have Pilgrims in stock, as those are my FAVORITE breed since Arty, and Daisy. But I have always had a love for americans too! They are straight run though, good thing I know how to vent sex.

Bad news first, will make better sense.

So, early last week my male pilgrim gosling died, his sister was so sad, she got weak, and barley ever moved for the first 2 days. Then she perked up, and it looked like she was doing great, but she wasn't I guess... She passed away Saturday evening....
hit.gif

GOOD NEWS!!!!!

I was so hoping to have adult geese by this winter, so they could be bred in he spring, so I talked to my mom, and she is letting me order 4 Buff Americans from Metzer farms!!!! I was kinda hoping they would have Pilgrims in stock, as those are my FAVORITE breed since Arty, and Daisy. But I have always had a love for americans too! They are straight run though, good thing I know how to vent sex.

Sorry to hear about your goslings DG
hugs.gif

Sorry to hear they both passed away DG. I would suggest changing how you brood the next group of goslings to try and avoid the same problem. They are very susceptible to mold and fungus that will cause them to go down hill quickly. Diet is also very important, and unlike ducks geese and goslings NEED to graze daily as a large part of their diet. If it is not a warm season then daily dark green chopped up need to be offered. Remove all uneaten greens as they will mold quickly in a warm wet brooder.

Thank you so much Celtic!!!

I don't think the 2 babies got enough greens, but they did get to graze a few times everyday.

I notice my ducklings do alot better to when I offer greens daily. I did that yesterday, and they ate them up within 15 min.!!! Then again there is 11 babies!! lol.

I will make sure to offer greens all the time!! And clean brooder alot! I don't want to loose these guys as they aren't free this time, $82.15 for the 4
th.gif
....... not that I wanted to loose the others....

That's a good price at 20 a gosling. You know American buffs are used as meat geese right? So buyers may buy with the intention of butchering. We butcher our buffs, they make a good meat goose.

That's a good price at 20 a gosling. You know American buffs are used as meat geese right? So buyers may buy with the intention of butchering. We butcher our buffs, they make a good meat goose.

For you it would be lol. I'm just a kid, with no job... Well i kinda have one. I babysit peoples kids, and clean houses. But no real job. So its pricey to me LoL.

Theres no way I'm gonna eat one of these.... Your crazy
lau.gif
..... Maybe there babies, but not them. Useing them to hatch goslings from, to sell. I wanted a nice temperment really... I don't really care what they are usually used for. Now if I was gonna go for a meat breed, Embdens would be it :D

Do you have adult buffs??

No adult buffs here, they meet freezer camp come fall. Hatch new eggs in the spring for the next group if needed. We have 4 growing out now, plus another 6 incubating and close to hatch day.

Keeping any as breeders?? Let me know if you want eggs in spring
big_smile.png
... Do you have to be NPIP to ship eggs?? I thought I read that the other day
hide.gif
...... If thats so, then oh well on that....

I'm hoping the 4 come out as 2 pairs, and not all of one sex. Or 3 Ganders and 1 goose
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom