Good Boy, Ludwig!

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
I was down in the coop after dark for the first time in weeks (I've been ill), checking the babies who had just gone into the integration pen, getting a saddle onto my barebacked hen, throwing birds out of nests, etc.

Ludwig, my Black Langshan rooster (EXACTLY 1 year old yesterday), stood up to watch me.

0519222050a.jpg

It made me a little nervous because when he stands on the roost his head is well over mine and, as you can see, I was going to have to go past him to get to the broody in the corner box.

So I put my hand on his back and talked to him for a minute then, with my head turned so that if he decided to strike in defense of the hen my eyes would be protected, I reached into the box and extracted the complaining broody.

Ludwig did nothing but watch.

Good Boy!

I like the detail you put in about talking to him with your hand on his back. That was helpful to us newbies (though I may never have a rooster). thank you!

I've done it several times since. Apparently that end is his new favorite roost and that box in the corner is the prospective broodies' favorite box.

Back
Top Bottom