Good breeds for kids thread

growyourbrew

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 17, 2012
I'm doing some research on breeds for a book I'm working on. I was wondering if anyone can give me some input on what breeds they like for kids?
I have cochins and and silkies which I think are absolutely awesome. I also had Speckles Essexes which were pretty darn cool but at the time I had them, I didn't have kids. What are you guys' thoughts/suggestions?

I own Barred Rocks and Rhode Island pullets and they are angels around my 4-8 year old cousins, except for the RIR cockerel. Cockerels of this breed are known to be aggressive (and he is) but the hens are quite docile.

If your wanting a calm easy to handle breed, I recommend Sultans hands down, My bantam sultan hen is the calmest bird I've ever owned. She loves people, likes to be picked up and held, and is always in a good mood, not to mention they look funny which kids like. I Have a page started on Facebook called "Sultan Chickens" It has become a decent sized network of sultan owners, they can give you tons of info on the breed

Do you guys think bantams tend to be more docile? All the bantam hens I've had have been nice. However, they were all docile breeds. I did have a Seabright who was nice but not super friendly, as she won't come hang out with you.

Hi growyourbrew!

We started with chickens after seeing a friend's little girls interact with her chickens. Little Kira came up to me and asked "Could you get Penguin for me and put her on the swing?" I thought she meant her stuffie, but after some quizzing turned out she wanted me to fetch her Barred Rock named Penguin; I put her next to Kira on the porch swing and swing they did! Adorable!

Her best breeds for the little ones were Bared Rock, an Australorp and a Red Sex-link. But Cochin, Easter Egger and Seabrights not so much.

Of the breeds I have had, my best recommendations for a very friendly chicken are in order of recommendation: 1) Brahmas (I have had Light and Dark) and they will let the little kids come up to them, pick them up and carry them around 2) Salmon Faverolles--exceptionally gentle and friendly breed but can be bullied by the other chickens so best kept with other docile breeds or as a single breed flock-my daughter's favorite 3) Speckled Sussex (I think that's what you meant with the Essexes that you mentioned)-they have been very friendly with people but the 2 I have had were definitely bossy-boots with the other hens 4) Barred Rock-good, solid all around breed and the ones I have had or interacted with have been very friendly.

There are other breeds I have that are nice and friendly, but are more lively than the above and so may not be as suitable for small children including Easter Eggers, Cream Legbars and Welsummers--love the breeds, but not cuddly.

eta-in my limited experience with bantams, they are not as docile as the large breeds.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for all you guys' input! Yes! The Speckled Sussex is the breed I was thinking about! I had 2. One was more friendly than the other and she was such an awesome bird. I had 2 Faverolles but gosh, for the longest time in their pullet days, we had to separate them in another pen because they would just get so clobbered by the other chickens. I don't think I'll get them again. Mine were OK birds but not super friendly

Back
Top Bottom