Good breeds for very (very) hot summers?

EverythingZen

Songster
Nov 29, 2017
AU
I'm slowly getting closer to getting my chooks, getting the coop and yard ready. One thing I can't decide on is a breed that will suit the intense summers I have where I live. I read that chickens struggle to regulate their body heat once the outside temperature exceeds 38c. We get many days in a row of 40c+, so it will be a real issue. Most neighbours have isa browns, and I'll possibly just end up with a few of them but I'd like to explore all options, just in case!

I live in Dallas TX. July and August highs are usually 38 and then some. The heat starts in mid June and can stay with us until mid Sept. I have wheaten marans, white Plymouth Rocks, 2 all black hens of unknown and questionable breeding and large fowl white Cornish. They all make it through the summer without special treatment - no frozen water or veggies, no water misters, no shallow containers of water to walk through - nothing.

They are always able to get into shade, always have water and no one monkeys around with them except in the early morning and at dusk. I don't think it matters what breed you select if you go out and get them all excited and jacked up in the heat of the day, there will always be fatalities.

I live in Dallas TX. July and August highs are usually 38 and then some. The heat starts in mid June and can stay with us until mid Sept. I have wheaten marans, white Plymouth Rocks, 2 all black hens of unknown and questionable breeding and large fowl white Cornish. They all make it through the summer without special treatment - no frozen water or veggies, no water misters, no shallow containers of water to walk through - nothing.

They are always able to get into shade, always have water and no one monkeys around with them except in the early morning and at dusk. I don't think it matters what breed you select if you go out and get them all excited and jacked up in the heat of the day, there will always be fatalities.
Here in florida its still really hot. I was in a tank top and shorts all day yesterday, but I had to wear a dress for christmas today. Seriously, FLORIDA SUCKS. I could come up with twenty reasons why Florida sucks just off the top of my head, but I'm not gonna bore you with that.

Anything with a more sleek, tightly-feathered look is more likely to do well, like fayoumis and campines. The big round birds like cochins and orpingtons tend to have a harder time.

That said, what kind of birds do I have, in Dallas? Cochins and Silkies, naturally. I just make sure they ALWAYS have fresh water, and access to a HEAVILY shaded area. In the heat of the day, I will find them relaxing in the cool dirt under a bush, having scratched up the soil until it was cooler. I have used a mister before and found it worked well, though it only lasted a couple of years before it started falling apart.

Leghorns, Naked Necks (Turkens), any large combed bird, really. The larger the comb the better they dissipate body heat. Guinea Fowl are also very hot-climate suitable.
To help keep your chickens cool in summer you can install a water spraying system, much like a sprinkler (but very finer, much like a mist) into your run area. Also provide a shaded area. A covered run or tarp over your run can really aid in this. A 3 sided coop may be in your area of interest for your climate.
Also cold foods and water. Chickens LOVE chilled watermelon or cabbage on a hot day.

Back
Top Bottom