Good bye, George. =( Long...

77horses

◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊
15 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Maine
My dad has quite a lot of different pets; chickens, zebra finches, parakeets, dogs, cats...
smile.png
But we also have to deal with deaths of animals, which can be hard, even for the smallest ones.
Last weekend, when we went to visit our dad, things were normal. But when I went to feed our finches, I noticed that one zebra finch was gone; George.
ep.gif
sad.png
After further investigation, we found out that he must have gotten out by squeezing through a pretty small crack in the cage, which had gone unnoticed by my dad. He could have been ANYWHERE in the bedroom, or in any other room in the house; maybe he had gotten outside even!
th.gif
Zebra finches are TINY birds, so he could be anywhere; under any of teh beds, under any of the burrows/desks, behind the fridge, under something...So, we grabbed a flashlight and searched almost everywhere that he could be; whenever a finch gets out, he/she tends to fall behind a bed/desk, and since they can't see in the dark, they have a hard time getting back out. But after checking under all the beds, no George.
hit.gif
We decided to wait and see if he would come out.
fl.gif
so we waited and waited for the rest of the evening, but there was no sign of the poor finch.
hu.gif
sad.png

Before bed, I decided to look one more time. I found a thin cardboard box, which had a battleship game in it. It was lying up against the wall, the top of the box open. I shined the flash light into the box, and to my dread, there lay poor George, dead.
hit.gif
sad.png
hit.gif
hit.gif
We guessed he had fallen into the upright box and couldn't get out. So, we got him out and decided to cremate him(burn him in the fire place). Normally, we would have buried him outside in the animal "grave yard", but there was too much snow. We said good bye and placed him in the fire.
hit.gif

He had probably been in the box all week or so, because my dad never noticed him; can't blame him, since Zebra finches are hard to count every single day because they are so small and quick. But I feel bad because he must have starved or something. Poor George. He wasn't really my finch(he was my brother's) but it was still sad.
George was really young, too. Wasn't a year old I don't think. He was the son of our other store-bought finches, who laid the eggs and they hatched. Only two finches survived; George and his smaller brother, Cheeky. Cheeky died last Summer mysteriously, and he was my finch, so it was sad, too; not to mention he died right in my hands.
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

But anyway, George is now in "Finchy Heaven" and at peace.
smile.png
He will be missed, but at least he lived a short yet happy life.
Thanks for reading!

R.I.P. George the Zebra Finch.
love.gif
hugs.gif

Quote:
We have 2 cages; one has 2 finches in it(the two that were living with George; they are mates) and the other cage has 2 finches in it(two mates, and they are also George's and his brother's parents)
Total: 4

Such cute little birds!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom