Good chicken breeds?

ch1ckenlover

In the Brooder
Sep 6, 2015
VA
In spring I am going to get some hens, and I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions. I want the hens for laying, so any chicken that lays well and will lay in the winter will do. Also ones that are calm and like being with other chickens. Thanks!

In spring I am going to get some hens, and I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions. I want the hens for laying, so any chicken that lays well and will lay in the winter will do. Also ones that are calm and like being with other chickens. Thanks!

Welcome to BYC -- there are many breeds that can fit those general characteristics.
Are you in a location where the total number of birds is limited by regulation? If so, how many birds are you allowed? How many eggs, per week, do you wish to have from your flock? Are there particular colors or patterns of feathering that you do or do not like? Do you like or dislike feathered legs, feathery faces or feathered head-dress? Do you care what color the eggs are? Where are you located (this helps us understand the climate the birds need to be suited for)?

I have no input, but wanted to comment so I can follow this thread for my own information
smile.png

Well, I'm new to this too, but I don't mind giving an opinion! So far, my best layers are the Orpingtons. We are in a hot desert so we specifically wanted heat-tolerant breeds, starting with Black Australorp, Sicilian Buttercups and Ameraucana. They all did well with the heat, but the Australorps are by far the most consistent layers, giving a large brown egg nearly every day. The Buttercups seemed like a good choice but the two I got both have trouble with their eggs (lumpy, sometimes broken) and don't lay as often, and they are mean to the other hens. This spring we added two Silver-laced Wyandottes and I am optimistic about them. Both pullets are laying regularly, almost as often as the Lorps. Also, they are so pretty, and their termperament is very nice, mellow and friendly. They integrated into the flock easily, avoiding the "mean girls" and just quietly carrying on..
Hope this helps.

We've had great success with Buff orpingtons, black australorps, and Easter eggers. All are great layers and very friendly.

Thanks for answering! My yard is split in half, county and city, so if I keep chickens in the county side I guess I can have as many as I want. I think I am going to get 4-5 chickens, depending on what coop I get. I'm also not getting a rooster. The number of eggs doesn't matter, as long as there is about the same number of eggs as there are hens. I don't care about the feather pattern or color. The same for feathered face, legs or head-dress. I think pink, blue and green eggs are cool, but I don't care if they're brown, white or colored. I live in Harrisonburg VA. Again, thanks for answering!

Thanks for answering! My yard is split in half, county and city, so if I keep chickens in the county side I guess I can have as many as I want. I think I am going to get 4-5 chickens, depending on what coop I get. I'm also not getting a rooster. The number of eggs doesn't matter, as long as there is about the same number of eggs as there are hens. I don't care about the feather pattern or color. The same for feathered face, legs or head-dress. I think pink, blue and green eggs are cool, but I don't care if they're brown, white or colored. I live in Harrisonburg VA. Again, thanks for answering!

If you are interested purely in the eggs and not color or breed, you should look into black or red stars. They are hybrid chickens that are egg laying machines. They are very hardy, rugged, and lay all year long. Plus they have sex linked traits which makes the males and female chick distinguishable upon hatching so you're guaranteed not to get a roo. Good luck and enjoy!

Sex links are great all around brown layers. Orpington are absolutes sweethearts and good layers. For a little color intheegg basket toss in an Easter egger (or two)....often sold as ameraucanas in feed stores or online hatcheries

Welcome! Australorps are good winter layers, and EE's give that extra in the egg basket, as do Welsummers and Black Copper Marans. Wyandottes are beautiful, and color, and Speckled Sussex can be super friendly. Leghorns, sex-links, and Production Reds will give the most eggs per year for a year or two, and then tend to burn out. There are so many choices!!! Mary

Back
Top Bottom