Good Deal?

Lucky1

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 28, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I bought 3 day old WH ducklings at the fur and feather show 3 weeks ago, thinking I could keep them as pets. turns out my parents changed their mind because they don't want to over winter birds because it will cost to much in feed. Now they are planning to slaughter them with the meat chicks I am raising. After a LOT of crying I came up with an idea to keep them.

1. I would pay for the cost of their feed, they wouldn't have to pay a cent p.s. how much does a bag of duck food cost and how long might it last with only 3 ducks??
2. I would do extra chores around the house
3. They don't need a heat lamp in the winter if I pile hay in the un-insulated coop.( no electricity usage)
4. When they grow old enough, I could sell the eggs for eating and for hatching ducklings out of, a mini business!
I just wanted to see if you guys thought it was a good enough idea to show to my parents.
Thanks,
Lucky

I bought 3 day old WH ducklings at the fur and feather show 3 weeks ago, thinking I could keep them as pets. turns out my parents changed their mind because they don't want to over winter birds because it will cost to much in feed. Now they are planning to slaughter them with the meat chicks I am raising. After a LOT of crying I came up with an idea to keep them.
1. I would pay for the cost of their feed, they wouldn't have to pay a cent p.s. how much does a bag of duck food cost and how long might it last with only 3 ducks??
3. They don't need a heat lamp in the winter if I pile hay in the un-insulated coop.( no electricity usage)
4. When they grow old enough, I could sell the eggs for eating and for hatching ducklings out of, a mini business!
I just wanted to see if you guys thought it was a good enough idea to show to my parents.
Thanks,
Lucky
Sounds like a great idea, and that you want to take on the responsibility of these 3 ducks means you may have to give up something you might want to buy in order to buy feed for them or straw. A bag of Purina Flock Raiser is about 17.00 per 50lb bag here in my part of the US, it will depend on what brand and where you are as to how much with only having 3 ducks it should last maybe a month I have 12 ducks and over 20 chickens and a bag lasts me about 2 weeks. are they going to free range at all? if so that will help with feed costs in the summer. Of course in the winter they won't get to forage much, Plus you can add some scratch to their feed in the winter months to help them stay warm at night. They will not need a heat lamp even in an uninsulated coop They wear down. Hay or straw or pine shaving will help keep them toasty too. Don't skimp on their care ducks are very hardy creatures and if given good quality feed and clean living area[well as clean as you can] lol they should be with you for a long time. Selling ducklings and eggs is another way to help defray costs of keeping them too. Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders Lucky1

Last edited:
1. I would pay for the cost of their feed, they wouldn't have to pay a cent p.s. how much does a bag of duck food cost and how long might it last with only 3 ducks?? With free ranging a bag of flock raiser (15 - 18 a bag) should last you a month.

Welshis are becoming quite popular so are in demand in many areas. Sounds like a great idea!
Thanks,
Lucky

Not sure what the reply would be from your parents lucky1 but here is what MY kids would get:

1. Where are you going to get money for the feed? Do you have a job? Do you get allowance? Are you going to have $30 or more per month to buy the food with?

2. What do I get to do if you fail your part of the bargain? Do I punish you or do we eat the birds?

3. Are you going to be the one to clean up after them & change out bedding? Who is going to do it if you don't? What happens if I end up having to do it?

4. What happens when you get tired of this responsibility? Then do we eat them or do we sell them?

5. Who is going to pay vet bills if they get hurt or sick? Or do we just cull them?

It may sound a bit harsh to you, but the consequences for the birds if your side isn't met could be worse than them being diner. They could end up sick & die a slow death or cost your parents more money in vet bills.

Last edited:
If your in Ont i have a feeling i know where you bought them lol Anyhow, i'm confused... did you get them with your parents knowing and fully supporting the decision? and now they have changed their minds?

I pay under 20$ for a bag of Purina flock multipurpose(50lb bag), how long it lasts obviously depends on how many birds and as others have said foraging. Can you try re-homing them? that maybe the best route if your parents genuinely don't want them.

Last edited:
Thanks,
Lucky
i would have to ask how old you are? i have a 10 year old that is suposed to take care of 2 rabbits, not buy the food or anything else, just feed and water them and it does not happen. i usualy end up doing it all my self. so i would have to agree with nsampsel what happens if you fail in your responsabilitys? here in nw oregon the 50lb bag of flock raiser is almost $19. i think that it will be good for you to take on that kind of responsibility and i wish you luck dealing with your parents. it does seem like a good plan

i would have to ask how old you are? i have a 10 year old that is suposed to take care of 2 rabbits, not buy the food or anything else, just feed and water them and it does not happen. i usualy end up doing it all my self. so i would have to agree with nsampsel what happens if you fail in your responsabilitys? here in nw oregon the 50lb bag of flock raiser is almost $19. i think that it will be good for you to take on that kind of responsibility and i wish you luck dealing with your parents. it does seem like a good plan
I have the same problem with my 8 yr old, but my teens have pulled this stuff as well. There would be ground rules & consequences laid out before I would even think about agreeing to a plan like this from 1 of my kids. MOM tends to get stuck with a LOT of extra stuff that kids "promised" to do around here
roll.png
and I'm NOT above grounding kids or getting rid of troublesome pets.

I agree with what everybody else has said. I was once in this predicament, as I'm sure alot of other people were too. I always held up my end of the bargain.....and worked my butt off in order to take care of them. I however didn't have ducks lol I had a goat, a horse, a heifer (that I took to fairs to show), and a bull calf. Wasn't easy BUT if you really want to keep your animals you will do whatever it takes to do it! I mowed lawns, fed other peoples animals, shoveled driveways in the winter, ect ect. My daughter, 8, is very responcible....she has been taking care of her rabbit for the last 5 years all by herself, and she also loves to help out with the ducks, geese, chickens, goats, and my rabbits....

Not sure what the reply would be from your parents lucky1 but here is what MY kids would get:

1. Where are you going to get money for the feed? Do you have a job? Do you get allowance? Are you going to have $30 or more per month to buy the food with?
1. I get an allowance and I am going to be getting a full time summer job soon.

2. What do I get to do if you fail your part of the bargain? Do I punish you or do we eat the birds? 
2. I wouldn't fail it, I would never hear the end of it, but if I did I would take my share of punishment and more if it meant keeping the ducks.
3. Are you going to be the one to clean up after them & change out bedding? Who is going to do it if you don't? What happens if I end up having to do it?
3. I am already the one doing all of the chores anyway, having just 3 ducks instead of them plus my 48 meat chicks would be a breeze :lol:
4. What happens when you get tired of this responsibility? Then do we eat them or do we sell them?
4.I wouldn't get tired of it. They are MY pets and I have to take care of them, I have been raised on the saying that if I'm hungry but I haven't fed the animals, they come first.

5. Who is going to pay vet bills if they get hurt or sick? Or do we just cull them?
5.If it came to it I am sure that I could pay the vet bill, I will have a job. Or if I don't quite have enough my parents would loan me it and take what I owe them out of my allowance a little bit every week.

It may sound a bit harsh to you, but the consequences for the birds if your side isn't met could be worse than them being diner. They could end up sick & die a slow death or cost your parents more money in vet bills.

Back
Top Bottom