good dog breeds for chickens

My dog, Gus (his full name is Snuffleupagus
big_smile.png
), is half basset hound and half English coonhound. He's soooo gentle, such a good boy. He's great with babies and little kids and other pets. He just knows that little kids are special and he is extra gentle with them. He's sweet with all my cats and he's curious about the chickens but has shown no aggression towards them. He will walk up and try to sniff them. He loves to play with other dogs. He's also got a real "soft" mouth when he plays. He is a good guard dog though and when he barks/howls everyone takes notice! His voice is beautiful but it is definitely the loudest I've ever heard. But he doesn't just howl at everyone that walks by which is wonderful and he's never "yippy". He's not as vocal as some hound breeds, like beagles (I do love beagles). He only vocalizes when he perceives actual trespassing and potential threat. Also if there is a critter anywhere nearby he will let us know without fail even when he is in the house. If there's a coon or fox out there Gus does what I call his "coon dance". He's just an all around wonderful dog and super loving and affectionate, cuddly, smart, and so cute and funny. I've never had a better behaved dog. He's not destructive in the house and he doesn't have the stubborn streak that some hound breeds have. He weighs about 40 lbs which is a good size since I can pick him up if I needed to carry him for any reason and he fits in my rather small car. From what I've read many of his personality traits are from the basset side of his family tree. He's trained for hunting although I don't hunt. Of course, like most hounds, I can't just let him run loose without a fence or tie-out because he'd wander off nose to ground and get himself lost or hit by a car. I adopted him from a shelter. He was on a special list because nobody wanted him and he'd been there a while!!! I was looking on the internet and as soon as I saw his picture I knew he was the one and I drove seven hours one way to go get him and the shelter adopted him out to me no charge!
I'm completely smitten with him
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
wee.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

62102_p1020393.jpg

This is my "bird" dog. She is the best. She guards the chickens and keeps predators away. I think the chickens have given her a whole new lease on life because she takes her job of chicken guardian very seriously. I suspect she thinks she is a rooster. She is mostly black lab, but a smidgeon pit bull. I taught her that our chickens are family and we don't eat them, and have never had one problem with her. I really appreciate her. (This photo is an old one of some guinea chicks)

57455_april-chicks.jpg

My english bull terrier, Elvis had origionally wanted to play with the girls, until my three month old silkie roo gave him one "love tap" on the head. now he just keeps an eye on them from a distance, haha. we were hanging out in the living room the other day and we saw his ears perk up and he ran to my girls who were free ranging in my little backyard. a neighbors cat was stalking them and he shooed her right on out! i was so proud of him because i have two cats that he adores, and he could tell the difference between bad kitties and good ones, yay!

its pretty funny because hes SUPPOSED to be a terrier, but when it comes to little fluffy things, hed rather not eat them
smile.png

Photo07091757.jpg

The Australian cattle dog aka. heeler has been the best with all the animals but can be snippy at people they decide are not trustworthy. Have both a blue and a red who've been around chickens, turkeys, geese, ducks, pigs, cows, and goats with no problems. The neighbor's dogs are husky mix breeds and eat every bird that gets over there as well as barks and nips at their horses and goats.

I say boxer. I have had boxers since the 70's. They love kids. I am still working with my little Sadie as far as the chickens go, but she just thinks they are squeak toys. lol. She shows a lot of interest, but I can not free range the girls because of the shepard/huskie mix dog we have. He definately wants to eat them.

I breed Australian Shepherds and we have 7 on the property along with 60+ chickens. The only problem we've ever had is with our one aussie, Rowdy, will catch the chickens when they get out and accidentally kills them. He never tries to eat them or be aggressive with them, he just doesn't realize he's too rough. The others are great at helping us round them up when they get out without hurting them. When I'm around, I can bring any of them into the chicken coop and all they do is sniff calmly. We used to bring our 6 month old aussie, Josie, into the coop to keep our mean rooster busy worrying about her and not us. He landed on her back once and now she won't go near him.
smile.png

And aussies are great with kids, although all aussies must be trained at an early age not to herd children. read up on Aussie behaviors and if you want, you can check out my site www.kingofaussies.com

Good luck!

Edited to say that they do protect our chickens from other dogs and cats trying to get them. They got into a fight with a neighbors dog that was killing our chickens. They are nice to our cats and dogs that visit, but they know when it's an intruder and not a visitor.

Last edited:
I have a miniature dachshund and she is absolutely wonderful with all my chickens she goes right in the cage and eats their food along side of them lol its great to watch.

Avoid terriers, schnauzers, dachshunds, and any breed developed to hunt and kill vermin. These instincts are bred so strongly into these smaller dogs that it's nigh on impossible to train out.
Herding dogs and so called "soft-mouthed" bird hunting dogs are better bets to live peaceably with chickens.

In the past 50 years, my family has had a series of dachshunds. Every single one has been a chicken killer even though they'd never seen a hen or rooster before. These are all fabulous dogs for family, kids, travel... but not for farm.

Currently we're on our second Rottweiler. She completely ignores my chickens, although a good roll in the poop makes her happy (go figure!). Rottweilers were used for thousands of years to guard and herd cattle and whose ancestors were brought into Germania by the Roman legions.

My daughter in law has an Australian Blue Heeler who weaves back and forth and corrals my chickens into a corner of the yard. Then she just stands there, guarding them, not moving any closer than 6'.

I wish I had a picture of my 7 year old Rottweiler laying in the shade, chickens pecking all around her.

I think dog/chicken acceptance also has a lot to do with how you socialize and train your dog. I believe a tiny dachshund or terrier puppy would be seriously intimidated by adult hens and a defensive rooster and would never ever think of bothering chickens again. But an adult dachshund newly introduced to the coop would tear through and have chicken dinner.

Back
Top Bottom