Good eating...

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Jenai, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Jenai

Jenai Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2007
    I "processed" my first chicken this past Saturday and let it rest in a saltwater bath in the fridge until the 4th. It was a 16 week old 'packing peanut' (possibly a EE). It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Kind of like cleaning, skinning, and preparing those cheap $0.59/lb. chickens for dinner...except the organs weren't in a paper pouch.

Anyway, I combined one medium sized sliced onion and 2 tsp. of minced garlic and carmelized over medium heat in butter. Stirred in white cooking wine and a little cornstarch/water to thicken to a slight gravy texture. The mixture was then poured over (put some of the onions in the cavity as well) the bird which had been placed breast-side down in a roasting pan. Cooked in the oven for 3 hours on 250.

WOW - talk about good! It was so 'chickeny' tasting and moist. The legs were a little stronger tasting than my liking but, the breast meat is simply delicious. Y'all...I DREAMED about eating home-grown chicken after I went to bed last night.

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    That sounds delicious! Good job!

3. Country Gal

Country Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Capac, MI
    Sounds yummy! I'll definitely have to try the recipe!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by