Good...erm, "lap" quail?

I only hatch eggs, never buy them alive.
AC, I'm sorry to hear that! Good luck. Maybe you should take her to a vet?

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Definitely Coturnix. I had a pair of Texas A&Ms that would sleep in my hand, or sit in my lap.
smile.png
Gambels are cool, but flighty.
And, if you're going to get them, may I suggest hatching eggs? The chicks are SO tiny, that shipping them will likely be very hard on them. The coturnix eggs do surprisingly well in shipping, too, and there are many different colors out there.
smile.png

Cheap, too. After my bad hatch at the end of July, I said I wasn't going to gamble with shipped eggs again until the weather cooled off this fall ... then, I went on ebay, and saw an auction that was going to expire in less than an hour for 60 coturnix eggs for $3.49, and there were no bids. So, for a grand total of about $15, I bought them. They hatched on Tuesday/Wednesday, and out of 55 that went into the incubator (5 damaged in shipping), I have 30 that hatched and all appear healthy. That's quite a bargain, IMO. They are a really big mix of colors and breeds, too, including some fancy ones. I've got 3 that I believe are "tuxedo" pattern.​

when i was a kid my mom had a bobwhite quail that followed her everywhere and cried if they were apart. i've had others tell me they have had B.W. that were very loving ,affectionate.

I also would say Coturnix Quail, My Texas A&M were the tamest breed/variety of Coturnix... Actted like guinea pigs & My Pharaoh were the flightiest of my Coturnix.

~ Della ~

I have coturnix, bobwhites, gambels and blue scaled. The coturnix are the most docile the others (especially the blue scale) are very jumpy. If you handle them daily I am pretty sure they will become comfortable on your lap, I have some in cages and an aviary and when I feed and water I don't have to worry about them jumping out (I can even leave the door open while I am filling up their stuff). I had some coturnix get out of the aviary one time and they just stayed in the backyard, I had some bobs get out and well...I don't have them anymore.

Quote:
Cheap, too. After my bad hatch at the end of July, I said I wasn't going to gamble with shipped eggs again until the weather cooled off this fall ... then, I went on ebay, and saw an auction that was going to expire in less than an hour for 60 coturnix eggs for $3.49, and there were no bids. So, for a grand total of about $15, I bought them. They hatched on Tuesday/Wednesday, and out of 55 that went into the incubator (5 damaged in shipping), I have 30 that hatched and all appear healthy. That's quite a bargain, IMO. They are a really big mix of colors and breeds, too, including some fancy ones. I've got 3 that I believe are "tuxedo" pattern.

I think we bought from the same seller. Between hairline cracks, weepy eggs and those that ended up clear...I just hope we have compareable hatch rates. I did not know to candle on arrival...though I do now. Learned that lesson really fast when I saw all the tiny fractures and had the vendor accuse me of doing it in incubation. Meh. Lesson learned

Back
Top Bottom