Good "Flying" Chickens?

I have a 10 week old chicks, BR, Americaunas, PR, WR, Bsexlink, Rsexlink and RIR... all of them can fly the 4.5 feet to the lowest roost in my coop.

That young?! Awesome. Thanks so much for the input!
smile.png

Hi TalonZ and welcome to BYC. I have had wyanndots for years, both golden and silver laced ones. They have a rosecomb which makes them ideal birds to have in cold climates. They also have no trouble flying up to my coop, which is on posts 3 feet off of the ground. I also have speckled sussex and they are also good for colder climates and I've got one hen that keeps getting on the roof of my house and walking the roof ridge to see what I'm doing on the other side of the house. She hasn't ever decided to jump down on the wrong side of the house, thank goodness. The ability to fly is a very good thing to consider when you plan on free ranging a flock of chickens because I've had many a hen saved from being fox dinner just because they could fly away from the fox's jaws. One thing you might consider is the difficulty in getting the birds to actually come in the henhouse and not decide they like it better roosting in a tree. I've had several aggravating nights when my flock decided they wanted to roost in a pine tree with the local wild turkeys instead of in their henhouse where they belong. Can you say knock them down with a broom and a flashlight after dark? My Ameracaunas fly excellantly and are actually bigger birds than my wyandotts. Are you going to have a roo? If you free range over 20 acres, I would advise it and I would advise you get the biggest one you can find. I had a beautiful Ameracauna roo that was very tough and brave. He kept my girls safe no matter where they roamed over the 50 acres they had available to them. A fox got him finally, broke his neck, but he injured that fox and the fox never returned to hunt my flock again. By the way, all of my fox attacks took place in the middle of the morning or late afternoon and NOT at night. Just sayin.

Last edited:
The door sounds like a pretty good idea. Although, it would be best to just keep the chooks locked up if you won't be home to lock them up at night.

You have to remember, that most wild predators can get over a 3' barrier too. I'm pretty sure a fox, cat, or dog can make that jump. I am thinking coons could get over it too.

The best way to keep predators out of the coop, is to keep the whole door shut safely.

-Kim

I don't have Ameraucanas, just EEs (which may be what you'd end up with--it's probably worth a search on the Breeds board so that you learn about the controversy before you buy) and they fly from the 4 1/2 foot top perch to the 12' rafters in the coop! None of my other breeds try to perch in the rafters.

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up! I've read that often when purchasing Ameraucanas and Arcaunas that lots of hatchers just sell you Easter Eggers. My son wants them for the egg color so he won't care which we get. Probably should save a buck or two and just buy an EE outright then huh?

Last edited by a moderator:
All of mine can clear 4-5' if they want. Even my cochin. The one that has the most trouble is my frizzle, he's not the best fly but he can make it the 4' to the first roost then hops his way 10' up to the rafters. I don't have any chicken that won't go for the rafters if they can fit.

My Polish (assuming the crests are trimmed) are actually my best flyers next to the Campine. I've had them fly across the entire yard (about 100') peaking around 6-7' in the arc.

For good flyers... Golden Campines. I have a group of six of them that are about 7 weeks old, and they already roost high up on some metal fencing that runs between my barn stalls (at the height of about 6-8 feet). They love to forage as well, and are always the first chickens to run down the ramp when I open up the barn each morning
smile.png

Z

My Ameraucana "flew" over my 6 foot fence today into my only person near me who wasn't to keen on the idea of chickens near her (but she doesn't even like cats as outdoor pets) I had to go retrieve her quickly!

Quote:
Hahah! Figures that would happen! I'm glad to hear that the chickens I want are all great flyers! Hope it will keep them out of harms way while they're out in the yard all day.

Back
Top Bottom