Good Girl Bella!!! Oppossum dead!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Mycookoonest, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Mycookoonest

Mycookoonest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Hudson Valley NY
    DH woke up and let the dogs out. He went back out to check on them and call to see what they were up to in the yard. Max our German Shepard is mostly blind so it's good to check on him when It's still dark out. Well a few minutes later DH goes to see if they were at the door after he called them and Bella my Golden had brought back an Oppossum!

I'm so proud of her! Yeah she may be a pain in the butt by digging holes, eating my coop shoes and anything else she comes across, and being overbearing... but she's protected my girls! Now I know if they neighbors cats go anywhere within reach I don't think they will make it. They have been VERY BRAVE lately.

2. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    Way to go Bella. Glad she got it. Keep her shots up to date and feed her extra tonight.

3. timbofarms

timbofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Humboldt/West TN
    [​IMG] way to go

4. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Good dog![​IMG]

5. porteryork

porteryork Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    My dog Lily got one as well. Just be glad you found it before it got ripe [​IMG]

Good dogs all!

6. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Our pittbull/sharpie Angel, was attacked by a baby raccoon one night. It was all my fault, she was sniffing an d barking at the door and I told her to go get whatever was out there. We lived in the suburbs, the dogs wernt hunters. They never caught anything, I just thought it was funny to see them scare them away [​IMG] My poor Angel cakes [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Mycookoonest

Mycookoonest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Hudson Valley NY
    So I went to give her a bath ( I know some reward but there's no way she's sleeping in my bedroom smelling like a skurvy dirty dog [​IMG]) I noticed she had a spot on her about the size of a half dollar. I think the Oppossum was around yesterday. We noticed a spot on her head but thought her and Max were rough housing like usual. But Now the blood spot on her back tells me she's had a run in with either this Oppossum or the neighbors dog...

8. Possumpoint

Possumpoint Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Nothing beats a good watch dog. We lost our 12 yr. old lab, Dixie this past December. She was a loyal friend and protector of all of our livestock. In fact, just a few days after we lost Dixie, wild dogs killed our goats. We have another lab now, but it will be some time before puppy Tucker can fill Dixie's paw prints. But, he's already bonded with the chickens and that's a great start.

Give Bella a big hug for me will ya. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by