good height for coop to be off ground? 2feet?

reneeandshane

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 25, 2011
Beaufort County, North Carolina
We started our coop today! Yay! I know it won't be perfect but its our first married couple project
smile.png
We are building our coop 2 feet off the ground(I know its probably too late to ask) is this going to be a good height?
88567_2011-05-28_175440.jpg

Its a6×6

Last edited:
We have ours a little over 3 ft off the ground and I love having it that way. Our run is attached to one side of our 8 x 8 coop and we enclosed the whole underneath area with hardware cloth to make the run even larger plus give them shade/protection from rain. We made our coop high enough that we can climb under it if we have to plus it is easy to rake out. We have two big doors on one side of the coop that can be opened for access, cleaning, etc. I do have to step up on block in order to reach all parts of the coop. I would love to have a large walk in coop someday but this one is working well for now!
smile.png

Your chicks will love going underneath your coop. Ours free range during the day and a favorite hangout spot is underneath our tent trailer especially on hot summer days.

I went with 2' and LOVE it! I measured the wheelbarrow and made sure it was a couple inches higher (and it made sense to use the full length of the post I bought for legs). I have full-side doors on opposite ends so my idea was to be able to park the wheelbarrow at the door and push the dirty litter out from the other door. It's also a convenient height for me to deal with the feeders and waterer from the doorway (no stooping required).

OH, and I put the nest boxes 20" above the floor so they could walk under them. Having 2' legs made the nests still easy to access from outside.

Last edited:
My is 2' off ground. If I have to do it over again, the floor will be 1/2" hardware cloth. There are more beam add in case I want to walk inside. Why take this route? 1) The reason is cleaning the coop. As we all know there just too much work every few weeks or months. 2) can convert over for rabbit or quail use if tire of chicken.
If you are concern about the cold draft just cover around the bottom with plexiglass. Of course, all the nest egg be will access from outside.

Looks like your height is great. Here is what you can use that space for.
NewImage.jpg

You might also take out some of those pavers. That way the birds can create a dust bath area.

Last edited:
I think mine (my bantam coop) is a little less than 24 inches. They will LOVE that space underneath! If you're in a winter area, it'll be a nice place for them to stay out of the snow. I've hung my feeder under there to keep it dry when it rains. ** Do remember to put a hinged door on one side (even if it's screened) when you go to wire in three sides so that you can access it easily
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom