Good horse news!

Chickerdoodle13

The truth is out there...
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
So I was was talking to my dad today about horses. For a little background on myself, my mare had to be put down two years ago. A year ago we bought a gelding from mexico. Good horse, but definitely much better for my dad. My dad picked him out, even though it was supposed to be my choice. Now we have one old gelding and one younger gelding who belongs to my dad.

Anyways, I sort of brought up the fact that I want a horse of my own in so many words. (surprisingly my mom supported me in the fact that Stetson is my dad's horse, rather than my own) At first my dad kept saying that Sonny (the old horse) is fine to ride. I told him that it will be difficult to go riding this summer if we are both going to want to ride Stetson all the time.

Soooo....after talking a little bit, he told me I could go look at horses this summer when I get out of school! Nothing expensive, but if I can find a nice trail gelding for $1000 to $2000 I should be able to get it. I'm so excited! Now hopefully my dad will hold true to his word! I just hope that I will finally have my OWN horse again for the first time in two years. I just want something I can load up and bring out on the trails with friends and not have to worry about it going lame all the time!

Oh I know! I have a 17 year old paint mare that i use in jumping and contesting and shes slowing down... but the sad thing is when she is gone, i cant get another. she is my one and only...
hit.gif

It's so sad when they get old! It's even sadder if they like to work and you have to start leaving them behind in the pasture when you take someone else out!
hit.gif

Old Bo (geriatric thoroughbred mare) had a bad time last summer, and oh would she cry when I took someone else out. Sometimes I would "pack mule" her along behind us on the trail just so she could come along...

That's really great news. There is nothing like a horse of your own. I love all my horses and sweetie is my baby, but..
I don't think I could ever be without a horse until I get to old to ride or just disabled where I could not do anything with them.

Quote:
Oh, I know. My old show dog gets jealous. I faithfully showed her for seven years and now she doesn't understand why she can't get in the car with me. Jumped in the other day and we couldn't get her out. Shes a doberman, by the way.

Sorry to steal the thread. I'll shut up now!

Thanks everyone! I have been checking out horses on Craigslist, but I think I'm going to wait until I finish with this semester to do any SERIOUS searching. (My mom did inform me that my dad has ALREADY been looking! LOL supposedly he found a morgan for sale in PA)

My dad and I are going to a horse auction in a few weeks, so maybe we will pick something up there. I know auctions are iffy, but with horses selling for $100 we might as well get something and if it doesn't work out we could always bring it back to auction without losing any money. I feel confident enough to check a horse out based on confirmation and movement! I guess we'll see if my dad brings the trailer with us!

I will keep you guys updated! I can't wait to start horse shopping! I just hope I will be able to find a good horse that isn't $5,000!

Back
Top Bottom