Good idea? Or bad idea?

TBlevins

Songster
Jun 2, 2021
Southwestern Pennsylvania
So, we have 6 chickies. They’re about 2 months old and are living their best lives out in the (I think) about 10x12 run. The hubby says that I’m obsessed with “these dumb chickens,” but at least I’m open and honest about it. (He’s a secret obsessive and loves to build things for them - perch, swing, grazing boxes ...)

But, to my question ... he’s concerned about these grazing boxes. One has the big chicken wire mesh, the other has the little square mesh. (Hardware cloth?)

His concern is about these gals constantly pecking through the wire, so I wanted to ask you experts ... will that harm their beaks?

(I love it when he’s worried about “my dumb chickens!”)

(I love it when he’s worried about “my dumb chickens!”)
Mine's the same way about the ducks. Any time that we have a problem with them he suggests that roast duck would solve it, but he's the one getting them a stock tank because it'd be more fun than the kiddie pool and figuring out how to expand the run "so they can have a little garden".
"BTW- I think I figured out how to set up a hydroponic system for watercress and spinach using the duck filter 😃"
"Ummm, didn't the idea of eating stuff grown in that water gross you out??"​
"Not for us, silly! Don't ducks like watercress and spinach?"

If you wish their grazing boxes to keep things to be grazed on, do not allow them room to get their beaks to the soil surface. The hardware cloth is an excellent idea especially when "domed" up a little to protect the plants even more (small walk-around style boxes).
Made that mistake on the first (and totally failed, lol) box. I had an old rectangular planter that the hubby made a box for, so I was able to keep the soil a bit lower.

Mine's the same way about the ducks. Any time that we have a problem with them he suggests that roast duck would solve it, but he's the one getting them a stock tank because it'd be more fun than the kiddie pool and figuring out how to expand the run "so they can have a little garden".
"BTW- I think I figured out how to set up a hydroponic system for watercress and spinach using the duck filter 😃"
"Ummm, didn't the idea of eating stuff grown in that water gross you out??"​
"Not for us, silly! Don't ducks like watercress and spinach?"
Omg, yes! 😂 Mine always mentions the soup pot, but will sneak them goodies when he thinks I’m not watching! Or hangs out in the pen with them! (As he is RIGHT NOW in fact! 😂)

And ya never know - if YOU eat those veggies, you might get some kind of super power!!

Attachments

• A63C8BA0-5A0A-4948-B5C7-93BF954CEDFC.jpeg
    A63C8BA0-5A0A-4948-B5C7-93BF954CEDFC.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom