Good Info websites on Ducks Please!!!

Quote:
This one.

Lots of well educated people on here with tons of experience. If you think of any specific questions you could try doing a search on the topic in the upper right hand corner or just post a new topic about it.

Quote:
This one.

Lots of well educated people on here with tons of experience. If you think of any specific questions you could try doing a search on the topic in the upper right hand corner or just post a new topic about it.

X2

Quote:
This one.

Agreed. There are literally hundreds and hundreds of pages of threads with a wealth of information about ducks on here. Also, just PM one of us like DuckABC's, Wifezilla, gofasterstripe, duckyfromoz, Amiga, KansasKid, TLWR, destinduck, and I to name a few. Good luck and
welcome-byc.gif

Hm, I didn't read much about ducks. Was told they need heat just like chickens, but I've learned that isn't true. They grow crazy fast and eat all their food. On the other hand, they poo more and make a mess with the water instead. Mine go out at 5wks, they are just too much after that.

Quote:
They definetly need heat in the first few weeks. Depending on where you are located, they could be moved outside as early as 3 weeks old (SoCal in the Summer) or as late as 12 weeks when they are fully feathered.

Quote:
They definetly need heat in the first few weeks. Depending on where you are located, they could be moved outside as early as 3 weeks old (SoCal in the Summer) or as late as 12 weeks when they are fully feathered.

Yes, that is what everyone keeps saying, but it was not true in my case. Fully feathered ducks are HUGE and should of been long ago outside. I'll agree it's best to let them choose the heated spot or not until 3wks, but after that, if your house is 60F or more, it's not needed. Mine grew fast and happy, no ill effects. No complaints on their part either.

Just be careful when you say "Was told they need heat just like chickens, but i've learned that isn't true." Because that can be misleading to some. Plus most tend to raise theres outside and not in the house where temperatures tend to fluctuate. I do agree that as soon as there feathered up they can go without it but before then its better safe than sorry.
I know that the other night was 60˚ and tonight is 56˚ and my 4 and a half week mandarins that are starting to get some feathers were super glad and huddled under the heat lamp when the temps changed.

Quote:
This is the best website to learn about ducks! Really... it's the best website to ask questions about all type of fowl. Lot's and lot's of experience in the folks in these forums.

I highly recommend Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks by Dave Holderread. You'll learn a TON from that book... everything you can imagine. I've been able to compile a lot of information over the years from various sources and my own experience and I've written several articles about the duck breeds I raise for my website: http://2mooses.weebly.com/waterfowl.html. But Holderread is THE GUY to learn from IMO
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom