good meat chicken

Quote:
Steve don't you think the dark cornish is to firm for most people taste. It is nothing like the bird we call a cornish cross. I think they where only used for the wide breast in the cross of many familys. The firm crewy meat makes great gumbo but would never be good for fryed chicken or BBQ.

Quote:
Steve don't you think the dark cornish is to firm for most people taste. It is nothing like the bird we call a cornish cross. I think they where only used for the wide breast in the cross of many familys. The firm crewy meat makes great gumbo but would never be good for fryed chicken or BBQ.

Really? I was thinking of getting some Dark Cornish for a naturally reproducing, free ranged meat bird. But their meat is different than other breeds, such as Buff Orpingtons?

Quote:

Really? I was thinking of getting some Dark Cornish for a naturally reproducing, free ranged meat bird. But their meat is different than other breeds, such as Buff Orpingtons?

The Dark Cornish that I have raised where great for dishes you want a firm meat. It is even in the description from hatchery's, so I know it is not something I did wrong in raising them. http://www.randallburkey.com/Dark-Cornish-SOLD-OUT-UNTIL-2011/productinfo/80311/1001

Quote:
I would love to try JG but they say they take a long time to mature and eat like pigs.
pop.gif
Buff Orpington seam to be the best for me at this point, unless someone has a better breed.
D.gif

Quote:

I cook them on the grill all the time. Maybe it's just me but I like my meat to have taste and substance.
smile.png
That and it's all in how you cook it. Maybe a cut and paste on chicken cooking methods is needed.
smile.png

The Dark Cornish like the Speckled Sussex was at one time a popular meat bird (before the Cornish cross), birds raised for meat tend to be alot more solid than a dual purpose. I don't think that is a bad thing at all. One way is to try it out yourself, try a selection and see what you like the best.

Steve​

Last edited:
Southerngirl would be a good one to ask about Dark Cornish.
wink.png
She's convinced me to get some next year from Cackle. She says they do reproduce naturally, and she butchers them at 6-8 months old. Her favorite dual-purpose breeds for meat are Dark Cornish and Buff Orpingtons (from Cackle).

My Black Copper Marans and Dellie roos were huge at 5 months.... longer to feed than a CX but still nice meaty birds.

Back
Top Bottom