Good Morning! I just bought a chicken coop...

ChickenKelly

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 5, 2011
Last night I bought a chiken coop... only waking this morning thinking of 101 questions...1) What was I thinking? I have no idea what do to next?!

Besides trying to find out where to get chickens or chicks, what else should I get so I can be prepared? Any suggestions? I have never raised chickens and as an urban dweller, I can't be more excited but no reality is setting in. How can I be a good chick to my chicks?
big_smile.png

Are you starting with chicks or pullets? That's the first question you need to answer. After that think about if water will freeze in your winter. If so skip the galvanized waterer and buy a plastic heated waterer. They are slightly more and you only need one so might as well get one that you can plug in come winter. Chickens basically raise themselves. All you have to do is feed, water, let them out in morning and close up coop at night and protect from neighbor dogs and whatever other predator is in your area.

They really are hours of entertainment strutting around doing their chicken thing and each has a distinctive personality.

Thank you for the encouragement! We live in west central FL so no chance of freezing. Should I try to find chicks or chickens now or just wait until spring?

Make sure first your coop and run are predator proof. Then check Craigslist or look for local breeders. If you raise chicks they need a little extra care for awhile but I think they are better to raise then already started. They usually will be friendlier and you have less of a worry about getting sick chickens. Actually best to have hatching eggs and do it yourself then you know from the start how they have been taken are of and what they were around. You can also order from a hatchery and have them shipped but this time of year selection is limited and most have a minimum of 25 chicks. If you lived closer I have 2 broodies setting on probably 20 eggs.

frow.gif
Hi
welcome-byc.gif
-- you'll find all your answers here.... congrats on the new coop,you have already did things better than I did.... I bought my chicks and then had I hurry up on the coop
wink.png

Welcome to the coop!
frow.gif

This is the nice-est bunch of folks - and SOO much knowledge!
I can waste a TON of time at work poking around on here (hehehehehehe)
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom