Good mothers?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by 9farmgirl9, Jul 12, 2011.

1. 9farmgirl9

9farmgirl9 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Jasper, Mo
    I just wanna no for when its time for mine since im not good at incubating ^.^ don't wanna kill em if i get a chance. yah i no mine are only---a month but i want to prepear for the next couple years. Do peahens make good mothers?

2. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    It's the same with any of the farm birds... some do and some don't. But your chicks won't be that friendly if raised by mom.

3. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Quote:Well if you take them at hatch and raised them then they would be friendly

4. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Quote:Yes, but that's not the question [​IMG]

5. 9farmgirl9

9farmgirl9 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Jasper, Mo
    I was just wondering in case im not there to take them from her, my guinea mother and mama hen both kill the keets and chicks when they hatch! So i have to take there eggs away before they start to pip. And if i wasn't there i would want her killing them.

6. DMFarm

DMFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Winona Tx
    Peahens are good mothers I have has several over the years hatch and raise the chicks.

7. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    peahens are great mothers , but letting them raise young you will lose more than brooder raised, not because they are not good mothers , just things happen , like chicks drown in waters , or etc. DO GIVE THEM MEDICATED STARTER FEED ,yes ok for mother also.

I let peahens hatch alot of their last clutches of the year, which here is around late July

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by