Good neighbor story

Okay my dog would probably go up to the pen and bark but if y'all think they will be okay I might do that. She chases ducks so I hope they are okay.
welcome-byc.gif
You will have to train her Not to chase ducks. you will need to train your dog to leave the ducks alone, Dogs can be taught it takes a bit of time and patience. My dogs.ducks/chickens/geese can all mingle together[I have to watch the geese though they will bully the dogs] and I don't let my dogs around ducklings/chicks it's just to easy for the prey drive to kick in when they are tiny. I found out the hard way. Always start training with your dog on a leash never give her/him that first opportunity to chase them. What breed is your dog?

I live in the middle of my land so my only real neighbors are across the road and they're great. They save their leftovers for my chickens, ducks & geese, help protect the daffodils I planted in the ditch, and are just great to be around.

When I had my muscovy duck my neighbors actually liked him. One time they actually asked me to bring him in their yard for a closer look. Once neighbor even gave me zip ties when I was building a temporary pen for him. I had them all agree that me having him didn't botherer them and then I went over to the zoning officer and he let me keep him. It's too bad the duck got hormonal aggressive. I had to give him to someone with muscovy hens. I hope one day I'll be on a farm where I can have ducks and geese.

She is a hoarding dog so she has it in her blood to scare away animals. she is Aussie/black lab mixed.

She has it in her blood to herd and fetch animals not scare them away. You can train her to redirect her energy from being overly excited about the ducks. You can also put in a solid barrier (anything from a tarp to barn tin) at bottom of the pen to obstruct her vision of them.

Back
Top Bottom