Good News!

debilorrah

The Great Guru of Yap
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
The Carpal Tunnel Rehab Center
I followed the advice on this site, and we built a brooder for our chicks right next to the bigger birds in the hen house. Put them out there at 4 weeks. This last weekend, we opened up a hole big enough for them to get in and out of but small enough that the others can't get in.

The chicks, now 7 weeks, are happily going in and out ALL BY THEMSELVES (it is above the nesting boxes) and the bigger hens have not yet beat them up, AND it hasn't disturbed laying!!!!

Tonight I went to put the lone chick back and she ran around me in circles pecking at my pants - with the commotion ALL the older birds came running in to see what's wrong including the roo. This is going VERY well.
wee.gif

After reading some wisdom from these wonderful sages, I've been doing something similar with my "replacement" companions. I put the 3 wk olds outside (it's in the 80's) in an enclosed pen next to the 7wk old's run. Let 7 wk old free to inspect the little ones. I hope by the time everyone's feathered out they'll have gotten used to each other and will settle into the coop nicely. The little babies go back in the garage with a heat lamp for the night.

This is brooder box where the chicks sleep at night, and where they got to know their neighbors
IMG_0844.jpg

This is to the left of the brooder when the big girls sleep
IMG_0848.jpg

Here you can see where they come and go in the bottomw right corner of the brooder
IMG_0851.jpg

I just realized that the flap is closed in this pic, but it is there.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom