Good old flashlight

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Shared Acres, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    We have Silkies and Showgirls, but are currently housing some Orps and other larger birds.

For the second day in a row I let the coop open during the day for the big birds to get out and I left my silkie in the run.

Last night, I go to the coop with the big flashlight in hand as it had gotten dark. As I walk into the run, I see something clinging to the top corner of the inside of the run. A very possum!

I wacked him with the flash light. He drops to the ground, I freak out and invision engraged diseased animal jumping up in my face-ala movie style.

Possum jumps up and runs out of coop and into woods, my labrador at her heels.

I check the chicken house, and all chickens are fine.

We have the coop COMPLETELY covered with chicken wire, so if the door is close it shouldn't be able to get back in. Hubby is upset that I left the door open at all.

Friggin possum.

2. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Yikes ...thank God for that good ole flashlight..your brave...hahaha!!!

3. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    LOL I can just picture ya in the coop bashin opossums in the head with a flashlight! There nasty critters aint they? They dont taste very good either... and there GREASY! [​IMG]

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    ..[​IMG]..[​IMG].i'm sorry its not funny..but...[​IMG]..the way you tell the story...[​IMG]..

5. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] YUCK!!!! I hate 'possums!!! I caught one in my live trap last week and I disposed of him in a 2 foot deep hole. [​IMG] But I'm not surprised if there's more 'possums that are around here.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  6. Don

Don Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Oil City, PA
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Oh my, how scary is that?!! [​IMG]

8. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I hate possums too. I was putting the kittens to bed the other night and came around the corner of the coop to find an enormous possum eating the cat food (I know... stupid me for leaving it out). It was the size of a medium size dog. Think Rodent of Unusual Size. Uggg. I threw a milk crate at it. Twice. Hopefully next time I will remember the shotgun. [​IMG]

9. Jessika

Jessika Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    Quote:Agreed!!!!

Glad you didn't lose any birds! [​IMG]

10. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Years ago, my dad was foot loose and fancy free. He fell in with some Gypsy folks and traveled around with them and learned a lot of stuff from them. Some good, and some bad.

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/628/Baked-possum84305.shtml

He always told me if I shoot it, I ought to eat it. Of course, I shot some stop signs and stuff like that too.

Rufus

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by