Good Ole Boy's Of "KANSAS"

Long weekend for me in the heat! Worked at the ball park. Always fun to talk to parents and make them laugh. But the heat really took it out of me. Not really sure what "it" is as it was taken out of me!
duc.gif
Found I lost a chick today. Mother has been scratching in the dust by the cage. She created a big ol hole under the door of the cage. Chick got in couldnt get out died, probably of heat stress. Tossed it on the path for tomorros funeral but wasnt there today. Proof that raccoons are prowling again. chicken bones saved traps ready to set. Between the garden chickens and the rabbits Its not going to slow down for a while. But then the work is good for me!

That fencing sure looks good out there Daren! Definitely should help keep them nice and safe! Mykel's loving that little D'Uccle... He named him Rocky (cause that's what he liked playing on... lol)!

Sorry to hear about your little chick Mike! I'm headed to KCI to drop my dad at the airport by noon, you gunna be around today?

Last edited:
Well after getting the little coturnix that hatched the other night out to the brooder it somehow drowned itself in the waterer last night... Guess that's back to square one for me! Anyone have suggestions for a better waterer than the mason jar one's for these little birds? Even my son's little button quail has done fine with them....?!?!

Quote:
Yep they make a no drown fount which is only a half inch wide. But it is still too big for baby or newly hatched buttons, you will need to place marbles or something at the bottom so that they can drink but not drown.

Id give you more but mine seem to have stopped due to this heat. Give me a few more weeks and I should have some more.

I still have a few more in the bator (giving them a little hope and a couple more days
wink.png

And I need to make room for 16 BBS Ameraucana eggs today...! No need for another trip though, if you've got some when you're here on the 19th is just fine
thumbsup.gif

Marbles is a genius idea, definitely swinging by the store for some today!

Pebbles work to fill the water container too.
Ok this will get me in trouble with every one. I think its funny but have to admit that some of this applies to me too. Hope you all get a laugh out of this.
You are a “Redneck”; when you….
1) You can’t under stand why your multigenerational brother on sister breeding project in chickens produces infertile birds.
2) You think molasses is a substitute for good nutrition on any food you feed.
3) You think “Google” is the ultimate source of truth! On any thing chicken.
4) You think false information from some one with a high school diploma is better than a college education because they have something to sell, that you want!
5) You think that stacked cages are ok as long as the rain washes the poo away from the birds below.
6) You think that your birds are eating each other is for reasons other than space and nutrition/ hydration.
7) You think you are going to make money on chicken breeding!
8) You think swap meets are the best source of new breeds/ genetics.
9) You think hens with no feathers on their backs are just molting.
10) You have more eggs in the incubator than you have cages to house what you’re hatching.
11) You know the breeding standards, but have never shown a bird.
12) You know that disease is not in your flock because you sold those birds!
13) You’re feeding your birds eggs they lay for good nutrition and hopes that they will lay more eggs for you.
14) You think free range means that your birds actually see day light.
15) You think heritage is more important than function or production.
16) When you are willing to maintain a chicken in conditions of misery because it’s more important as property than a living animal.
17) You think chickens are not animals they are birds.
18) Puppy mills are not a concept that can be applied to chickens!
19) You have compassion for the mutants that live a life of misery in your flock, in fact you keep them alive as long as they can suffer and you can be looked at as compassionate!
20) You make excuses for the condition of your birds at any time when someone is there to buy from you.
21) You are willing to stretch the truth about parentage or history just to make a sale.
22) You think you are actually going to create a new breed of bird in your flock.
23) When you think the breed is more important than the animal.
24) When you can’t understand why the eggs you haven’t collected for days are now being eaten by black snakes or their kin.
25) You think you’re smarter than a raccoon.

Quote:
Lol......hahahahahaha...... Half of that pertaints to me.
Reason #.1
i have spoken to you on the phone about them.

Your jsut mean mike I am gonna go feed my birds some cat food and tuna now. :'-(

lau.gif
You two crack me up!

So this morning my neighbor showed up with a gift for my son from her sister's farm, apparently it was in the "Ameraucana" bin at Orschleins! So now on top of the cute little Mille Fleur D'Uccle roo Daren gave my boy, he now has a Porcelain D'Uccle roo as well... Guess I'm adding another tractor and some girls to my back yard for sure now!
roll.png

Well One more Day and I will have 25 pheasant eggs on lock down
th.gif

Guess I fit in with #10

10) You have more eggs in the incubator than you have cages to house what you’re hatching.

hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom