Good plants/flowers for chicken run.

I would worry more about plants being torn up from the chickens scratching.

Must share my experience :

I cultivated two zones inside the fenced-in, aviary-net-covered chicken run area with wild flowers to add to a fun scenery for our chickens in spring. I closed these two zones with chicken wire after we sprinkled the wildflower seeds.

By mid summer, the flowers were blooming and quite beautiful, bees love them! So, I thought, time to give chickens access. I opened up the smaller zone, and they were just curiously checking out on the first day. So, I left it open. The next morning, they completely flattened the ENTIRE zone in two hours !! Nothing left standing.

Needless to say, I never opened up the other zone. Naughty chickens!

1669122082834.png

1669122011102.png

Last edited:
I will also plant lavender, roses, snap-dragons, daisy, dandelions, baby's breaths, bee balm, cone flowers, Echinacea, marigold, and rosemary + more herbs.

Last edited:
Following for answers. I use tarps and old patio furniture to clutter/shade the run, but I'd love to grow something they would enjoy as well! I'm leaning towards Privet, Hawthorne, and Forsythia, mainly because I already have these on my property and it seems that chickens just adore bushes in general. At the same time, I don't want to specifically put things in the run that could be toxic so I need to do my homework first...

Ok, so far I have created my own mix:
  • Lavender
  • Roses
  • Snap-dragons
  • Daisy
  • Dandelions
  • baby's breaths
  • bee balm
  • cone flowers/ Echinacea
  • marigold
  • Rosemary
  • sage