Good points about ducks?

danielle82

A Good Egg
10 Years
Apr 27, 2009
Tonasket Wa
Hi! i am going to be chickens later this spring, but I am thinking about getting a couple of Ducks as well. My sister and I had some pet ducks when we were growing up and they were sooooo cute and such happy little pets.
I broached the idea to my husband ( just feeling it out) and he didn't seem very receptive (he dosn't think of poultry as "pets" he wants them to have a useful side, besides being cute and cheerful)
tongue.gif
, I told him that duck eggs are way better for pastries than chicken eggs(I read that here on BYC somewhere) but I'm thinking I need to go the fertilizer route too.....I've been told that chicken poop is a bit "hot" to go straight onto a garden, that it can burn plants roots..does duck poop act the same way? What are some useful qualities unique to ducks? I know they eat slugs, but we don't have slugs out here where I live. I know a lot of you are very dedicated duck owners, I need some good points to bring to my dh attention when I do get my duckies! LOL
Thanks so much in advance!!
~Danielle

I have four ducks. My first experience having them. They are so much fun. Two Black Swedish and two khaki Campbell's. They are about six weeks old and were leary of me but now they have started following me around the yard. I did not beleive this would ever happen.

Tell your hubby they EAT BUGS!!!! Mine have been eating flies. No eggs yet but we will see. After reading posts on here it appears I have one male and one female of each breed. Could I be so lucky. Time will tell.

I can tell you SO many things in my short 10 weeks of having ducks, but if you have a few minutes, see my website. I started it the day I got my ducks. I had a hard time convincing my husband and still he didn't want them. (he likes them bunches now!) Anyway, they are WAY fun, entertaining, help my garden, etc., etc. I don't think they are that much work. They roam my yard nicely. Good luck!!

I do not think they are that much work either. If you want any kind of pet they will require care. Some of us are just caretakers.

I get so much enjoyment just watching them waddle around and swim.

What work? I have my daughter taking care of the duck and 3 hens we have(soon to get 8 more hens and 2 more ducks) and she is only 5

I love my two pekings. They will follow me around. When I come home from work they walk to come and see me. I can feed them treats by hand. Not much trouble at all once they left the brooder.

We have too many flies & mosquitos(Bugs! bugs! bugs!) here so that's good to know. But, I heard they hardly use thier house...how do you put them in thier house at night or if you let them sleep outside at night, how do you keep them safe from the predators? I'm a newbie for the ducks & just wondering.... Noriko.

They eat all manner of pests. I think their poop is too hot, too, but you would find that they will quickly "compost" your leafy greens, so it's probably best to keep them out of the garden, anyway...

With the laying breeds, they easily outlay chickens, and require much less maintenance to do so. They are hardier, and do not need "medicated" feed.

Back
Top Bottom