Good Quail feeder for cage setup?

We used to use rabbit feeders in ours and they wasted alot of feed by kicking it out. We went with hanging feeders and the waste now is just about zero. The 3 pound size was to small so we switched to a 7 pound size and it works great. With the hanging feeder you can adjust the height as they grow.

Steve in NC

OK, here's my setup:
This is a close up of the plastic rings stretched across the rabbit feeder. I stretch the bottom two rings down the front and "hook" them over the bottom two points of the rabbit feeder. Then I stretch the back two rings across the back of the feeder and tie behind it with bailing wire. As you can see there is little to no waste under the cage from the feeder area.
feeder.jpg

You can see where I tied the back two rings together behind the feeder. I also used the ends of the bailing wire to run under the bottom of the feeder and catch the front two rings, pulling them tight.
feederback.jpg

I usually fill the feeder all the way to the top, but I DON'T push the food down so that it goes to the very top of the feeder opening inside the cage. The bailing wire around the top back of the feeder is just to keep my kids from pulling the feeder out and letting the quail out accidentally.
feedertop.jpg

Back view of all four cages. The "SmartWater" water bottles work really well in the pop bottle waterers. They are one liter but very skinny and tall (unlike most 1 liter bottles).
Cageback.jpg

My chickens checking out the food situation for the quail. This is another reason why I have closed food containers for the quail!
tongue.png

Curiousneighbors.jpg

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom