Good Quail feeder for cage setup?

SamG347

Songster
12 Years
Mar 4, 2007
PA
Anyone have a good homemade or bought quail feeder that you use for your caged quail setups? I have just been looking all over and was thinking of doing the rabbit feeders that attach to the side but that is pretty expensive...unless boughten locally but I have not looked at the petstores yet. Anyone else have any recommendations?
Thanks!
big_smile.png

I have side feeders both the ones that clip on and the ones that are a 1/2 circle that hang on. both work. I dont use bowls cause they tip them over. I always give them a little at a time too (just what they can eat) a few times a day or they spill it all and waste it
smile.png

I use the rabbit feeders with a solid bottom so the crumbles don't fall through - it's great because I can fill it from the outside. I buy all my cage wire and feeders from www.klubertanz.com - I've been ordering with them for over 15 years and they've never disappointed me.

I found two bird feeders the type that has the squirrel gaurd on them at my local recycling center's metal pile. There was nothing wrong with them except they were missing the plexi window and alittle bent. I modified the worst of the two by taking the guard off and bending the metal outward so it would be flat up against where the window of the feeder would be against the wall of the coop. They have been using it for about a week so far and they have no problems auto feeds and it looks like the feed will last about 2 weeks for 13 birds.

I have been using a j-feeder for my quail and it's working well! easy to fill from the outside! My quail also figured out on their own how to use my automatic watering system from my rabbits, yeaaaa! no more water bottles!

Quote:
wow what a great website thanks for the link I have been looking for some parts that they have for the cages I got. thanks again!!!

We also use the rabbit feeders with the solid bottom. Since mine are outside, I wanted a way to feed and water them everyday without having to open the cages and risk them flying out. I also needed something that was pest proof, as we have a lot of wild birds. The rabbit feeders are so easy to fill from the outside and I only have to refill mine about 1-2 times per week. At first we had a problem with them billing out and wasting a lot of food, so we tried to put some sort of grid across the feeding area at the bottom and turn it into something resembling a chick feeder. We used a small piece of chicken wire across the opening and we also tried a piece of plastic milk jug with two holes cut out. Niether one of these helped much. Then we tried one of those plastic set of rings that you get when you buy a six pack of soda. If you stretch one of those across the feeder opening and pull the four corners of the plastic to the back of the feeder, you can tie them together with a little bailing wire at the back. This works really well and is a cheap solution.
big_smile.png
The plastic also gives a little, so it doesn't encourage the quail to stand on the feeder and get poop in it, as the other two attempts did. If this doesn't make sense and anybody needs to see a picture, just post and I'll put one up. Good luck with whatever you decide!

I use long troughs on the outside of the pens...there are opening large enough to stick their heads through but nothing else...well at least the adults. Don't stick young ones in there! The boys were chasing them all around the coop!!!
lau.gif
Dad might have made a slight miscalculation

Back
Top Bottom