Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Rhode Island Red

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • All of the above

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Other (please comment)

Votes: 8 30.8%

• Total voters
The Jersy Giant,is nice and very docile.
The Production Red as well is docile and lays like nuts
The production red isn't a NHR.The RIR and NHR created the Production red.

The RIR's can be mean.Chitchat is by far nice,and very docile.

My past experiences with my PR's is actually great.The ones I have now sit/roost with,sometimes sunbath right next to me,follow me around,sometimes clean me,ETC.

My RIR roosts every so often.She's docile,but is very good layer.

I have production red and she's a laying machine, some of my ee's are decent layers. The barred rock are very curious and brave, slw very shy but sweet. Ayam cemani are very arrogant, white bresse have been very sweet, orpingtons have very large combs and wattles, so frostbite may be an issue. I've been surprised at my polish being a good layer and loving being petted more so than the rc leghorn.

NHR
PR
they look nothing much alike.

The Newhamp is docile,but aggressive towards other birds.

Last edited:
The Jersy Giant,is nice and very docile.
The Production Red as well is docile and lays like nuts
The production red isn't a NHR.The RIR and NHR created the Production red.

The RIR's can be mean.Chitchat is by far nice,and very docile.

My past experiences with my PR's is actually great.The ones I have now sit/roost with,sometimes sunbath right next to me,follow me around,sometimes clean me,ETC.

My RIR roosts every so often.She's docile,but is very good layer.
thanks for the info :)

I have production red and she's a laying machine, some of my ee's are decent layers. The barred rock are very curious and brave, slw very shy but sweet. Ayam cemani are very arrogant, white bresse have been very sweet, orpingtons have very large combs and wattles, so frostbite may be an issue. I've been surprised at my polish being a good layer and loving being petted more so than the rc leghorn.
Hmm, interesting. That's good to note about the orpingtons too. Although, don't RIRs & BRs have fairly decent size combs and wattles too?

Production Reds certainly seem to be popular. Maybe I will have to consider them.

It's looking like my flock will probably wind up consisting of Orpingtons and Australorps, with maybe a RIR or PR thrown in, possibly a Wyandotte. I've heard White Leghorns are great layers too, anyone else have any experience with them? I'm worried they may be more flightly or aggressive, to me or each other.

Production Reds certainly seem to be popular. Maybe I will have to consider them.

It's looking like my flock will probably wind up consisting of Orpingtons and Australorps, with maybe a RIR or PR thrown in, possibly a Wyandotte. I've heard White Leghorns are great layers too, anyone else have any experience with them? I'm worried they may be more flightly or aggressive, to me or each other. 

I have delt with leghorns.
They are fkiers,mines have flew in a large oak tree,because bbc.co of a fox

She was docile and never mean towards mean.
Ox

So many wonderful breeds would fit the bill....so little space. I'm one of them who want one of everything.....a candy store of chickens.....
lol.png

You can go to the website of www.mypetchicken.com and fill out a questionnaire about what is most important to you and they will list suggestions.
In Massachusetts I would assume you want cold hardy breeds. We're in Pa and it gets pretty cold here. Last winter was a bear with temps down to -10*
We've chosen breeds that have done very well. For cold weather tolerant and laying my favorites are the EE's (or Ameraucanas) with their pea combs and buckeyes, which were initially a variety of Rhode Island Red, if you were thinking of getting them. The buckeye is more cold tolerant, lays a large egg, and is calm and friendly. Previously we had RIR, even had RIR when I was a child and I like buckeyes better.
We've also had Jersey Giants that laid well, very large eggs and were calm and winter hardy.
Those and the orpingtons, and perhaps astrolorpes would probably be your largest birds, and consequently eat more if feed to egg ratio is a concern.
Our best feed to egg ratio are my EE's, my smallest birds, but our mixes (bred for production and egg color,) aren't far behind, and the buckeyes.
I could make up my entire flock of these three, but there are still a few breeds I would like to try (astralorpe, astrawhite, speckled Sussex, maybe Delaware)

Back
Top Bottom