Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Rhode Island Red

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • All of the above

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (please comment)

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters
Red Sex Links are produced by crossing a red gene rooster (RIR, NHR, or Production Red) with a silver gene hen (Rhode Island White, Silver Laced Wyandotte, White Rock, Delaware, Light Sussex, etc.). The male chicks are whitish and the female chicks are reddish. Red Sex Links are marketed by hatcheries under a lot of different labels including Red Star, Gold Sex Link Brown Sex Link, Gold Star, Cinnamon Queen, Bovans Brown, Golden Buff, Golden Comet, Hubbard Golden Comet, Isa Brown, Shaver Brown, Babcock Brown, Warrens, HyLines, Gold Lines, Lohmans, Lohmans Brown, Brown Shaver, Red Shaver, Bovans Goldline, etc.

Wow, that's interesting. So it it sounds like if they were RIR and White Rock they'd essentially be the same bird or similar personalities? Or are they all different breeds? I guess it would depend on what birds they used too. Yeah, I've noticed there's a lot of different names, mostly variations on the Sex Link label, Red Stars, and the Comet thing, but didn't realize quite how many there were.

I started with RIR's, 8 years ago, but I won't have them, now. They are just too mean, especially the roosters. Now, I have EE's, which I like a whole lot better. They are much quieter, very hardy AND they lay blue eggs, too!
I just butchered an EE hen last week that was heavier than her brother after dressing. My current flock of 6 EE hens, > 1 year old and now laying 3-5 eggs/day, which is what the RIR's promise. I didn't find RIR's to be THAT prolific layers either. I think that RIR's are now too inbred, but that Just MHO.

That's unfortunate :/ Everything I'm hearing seems to suggest that too. I might have to try EE's.

Really? wow that's awesome! Both the eggs and that she was that big. Yeah, I feel like they probably are. That's what happens when things get too overpopular, in any breed or species (dogs are a big one), it's unfortunate. :/

They were advertised as Golden Comet, but one turned out different. She is rounder shaped, darker red with no white, and lays shiney, extra large, dark brown eggs (if she ever decides to lay again following her molt, that is!) The other two laid enormous tan/light brown eggs that had no shine. Those eggs would not fit in an extra large egg carton. Anytime I gave them away, I had to use a quart soup container (from hot and sour soup...yum yum) with no lid for five eggs. From what you said, it seems I may have gotten two sex links and one PR...

Golden comet is red sexlink.And tan brown eggs,yes,red sexlinks.

Alsoin my opinion,buff orps are not the best.

Come to learn their bossy,and start fights.
I have no good history with their egg laying either.

Alsoin my opinion,buff orps are not the best.

Come to learn their bossy,and start fights.
I have no good history with their egg laying either.
that stinks :/ though I thought they were pretty docile? Maybe it depends on the bird. Though I'd imagine they'd be obnoxious about treats

but yeah, I've heard the egg laying isn't as great as some breeds

Wow, that's interesting. So it it sounds like if they were RIR and White Rock they'd essentially be the same bird or similar personalities? Or are they all different breeds? I guess it would depend on what birds they used too. Yeah, I've noticed there's a lot of different names, mostly variations on the Sex Link label, Red Stars, and the Comet thing, but didn't realize quite how many there were.
Barred Rocks and White Rocks are the same breed, just different varieties of the same breed. Perhaps it's a difference in the birds that were originally used to develop the white color, but in my experience, Barred Rocks seem to be a little friendlier and slightly better cold weather layers than White Rocks, and that difference seems to make its way into the BSLs and the RSLs that are bred from White Rock hens.

Barred Rocks and White Rocks are the same breed, just different varieties of the same breed. Perhaps it's a difference in the birds that were originally used to develop the white color, but in my experience, Barred Rocks seem to be a little friendlier and slightly better cold weather layers than White Rocks, and that difference seems to make its way into the BSLs and the RSLs that are bred from White Rock hens.
That's really interesting. It definitely must have been something used to develop the color then or with the birds used to continue the line if it seems to be a common thing

Back
Top Bottom