Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Rhode Island Red

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • All of the above

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (please comment)

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters
I'm not sure if there are but I'd imagine there are.

Those are all really good points and sound like great options.

Perhaps I could even go to a fair or something and see if there's any birds there?
Where in MA are you? The Poultry Congress is Jan 17-18 in Springfield. You could walk around and see which breeds interest you. There won't be any hybrids though (EEs, sex links, etc) as it is an APA sanctioned show and not a fair show. There are birds for sale but pullets obviously sell out quickly.

Last edited:
Where in MA are you? The Poultry Congress is Jan 17-18 in Springfield. You could walk around and see which breeds interest you. There won't be any hybrids though (EEs, sex links, etc) as it is an APA sanctioned show and not a fair show. There are birds for sale but pullets obviously sell out quickly.

I'm in Eastern MA so near Boston but I don't mind going out to Springfield and actually want to start going out there for dog shows anyways so I'll have to see if we could go :)

I forgot to mention.
Most Producion chicks arent too friendly.
Once they grow up its ok,and they grow on you,basically their personalities nuts.

I'm in Eastern MA so near Boston but I don't mind going out to Springfield and actually want to start going out there for dog shows anyways so I'll have to see if we could go :)
http://www.poultrycongress.com/

It's fun to go look around. I'm not showing this year, not sure if I can make it. If you go, when you get to the parking entrance say you are there for the poultry show. You won't have to pay for parking.

Are you north of Boston? If you decide to go with hatchery chicks there's Dodge Grain in Salem NH. They get a lot of chicks in from late winter through the fall. They can special order for you and there is no minimum. That's how I ended up with 4 Easter Eggers. Had to get them to keep a singleton Faverolles hatchling company. I hadn't planned to keep them, but the kids got attached so they get free range of the yard. They are rather friendly and come running to see what I am doing. Their blue/green eggs do provide a nice contrast to my Faverolles' brown eggs.

How good are EEs?
Ive had 2.layed like4_5 eggs for us,and our first hen laid ok,I guess.
I want some for bestest friends really.

I KNOW nothing on EE at all.My first hen was aggressive
so now im think I need to split new EE hens.

Ny experience,horrible layerz,and sort agreessive.:(

X2 on Buff Orps

I'm really leaning towards them.

I forgot to mention.
Most Producion chicks arent too friendly.
Once they grow up its ok,and they grow on you,basically their personalities nuts.

That's a bit odd but as long as they grow up nice :)
http://www.poultrycongress.com/

It's fun to go look around. I'm not showing this year, not sure if I can make it. If you go, when you get to the parking entrance say you are there for the poultry show. You won't have to pay for parking.

Are you north of Boston? If you decide to go with hatchery chicks there's Dodge Grain in Salem NH. They get a lot of chicks in from late winter through the fall. They can special order for you and there is no minimum. That's how I ended up with 4 Easter Eggers. Had to get them to keep a singleton Faverolles hatchling company. I hadn't planned to keep them, but the kids got attached so they get free range of the yard. They are rather friendly and come running to see what I am doing. Their blue/green eggs do provide a nice contrast to my Faverolles' brown eggs.

It definitely sounds fun!! I think I actually saw that on the fairgrounds website when I was looking for dog shows last month hahah

I also just connected you were from MA! xD thanks for the tip though, I'll definitely be sure to mention that :)

I'm south but we go up there a lot for skiing and stuff (though I didn't go skiing last year. we have been up there though) so we could stop by next time we go there maybe. Unless there's someplace closer? that's awesome though :)

I have never been to a poultry show.
Apparently my breeds arent classified as "Show"birds.:(

I have never been to a poultry show.
Apparently my breeds arent classified as "Show"birds.
sad.png

Aw that stinks :/ I've never been either so hopefully this will be fun

Sex links. No accidental roosters!

Haha brilliant idea!!! :D I think I'm definitely gonna go with those but probably also some other breeds

Back
Top Bottom