• Rhode Island Red

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • All of the above

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Other (please comment)

Votes: 8 30.8%

• Total voters
I have news!

One, which I may have mentioned, is that I'll probably wind up getting less than 15, maybe only 8 or 10.

And, another thing, we talked to my uncle's neighbor's son at the New Year's party tonight (well, my dad asked) and he said the chickens are so easy, once they're big. the only thing you need to do is lock them up at night but they go in on their own, just gotta luck them up. and he said he has 50 and my dad was surprised and asked how many I wanted and we both sort of talked at the same time, I said 10 as he was saying 6 was a good number to start out with and compensated by adding "6-10" so that's good to know I was about right. :) and my mom pinky promised on the car we're gonna get them but we didn't mention it at the party, but I showed my dad the coop pictures, just to see if he thought he could build it, as a general inquiry, and he didn't seem opposed to it at all, unlike this past spring, and, as I said, even asked Ross (the guy) about his chickens so I'll take that as a good sign :) I basically just need a job or at least my license and effort towards a job and/or selling things on eBay and chickens can be all mine :D

(sorry, posting this on all my threads in case anyone reads one and not the other so sorry if you see this 2 or 3 times lol)

I'm 19 and I live with my parents, too. I just started my flock about 11 weeks ago. I had never had chickens before and my parents were also a little hesitant at first. Guess what? They love them now. It took a while to convince my mom but once she said "okay", I went out the next day and got six buff orpingtons before she could change her mind, haha. Given the circumstances, I didn't even have plans to build a coop, so it's good that you have a plan. They've really been easy to care for; a lot less work than I thought it would be. The first few weeks are going to be the most intensive as they're so small and fragile, but it's definitely worth it!

Best of luck!

-Connor

I'm 19 and I live with my parents, too. I just started my flock about 11 weeks ago. I had never had chickens before and my parents were also a little hesitant at first. Guess what? They love them now. It took a while to convince my mom but once she said "okay", I went out the next day and got six buff orpingtons before she could change her mind, haha. Given the circumstances, I didn't even have plans to build a coop, so it's good that you have a plan. They've really been easy to care for; a lot less work than I thought it would be. The first few weeks are going to be the most intensive as they're so small and fragile, but it's definitely worth it!

Best of luck!

-Connor

Wow, that's awesome! Probably a good idea xD Yeah, I've been thinking about it for a while so I've had plenty of time to try & figure things out, though I still don't have anything figured out xD but yeah, I'd imagine the beginning would be the hardest but from I've heard, they're pretty amazingly hardy/robust, even right away.

Thanks!! :)

I'm thinking it'll probably only be 6-8 now and probably 4 breeds. The good thing about the breeds I want though? They all look totally different so I'll easily be able to tell them apart xD

Back
Top Bottom