• All of the above

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Other (please comment)

Votes: 8 30.8%

• Total voters
You probably should consider them.

They may not be the best layers,but are extremely more better,and docile
then EEs.

And you should get a good few eggs from em.Buff orps are funny lil suckers.
Mines use to hurdle me aggressively,and growl as if I was a hen.
Odd,but still interested.

I love my EE, "Crazy Lucy" because she is into everything and runs around a lot; gives me an egg almost every day even in winter. And she's beautiful, friendly, and smart.

Hahah yess. Only issue though is I plan to get 2 of each in 2 breeds so those 2 will look the same xD

Get all different birds......................I did, that's half the fun seeing their different personalities and habits. I've got a Australthorp, Buff Orp, EE, Gold Lace Wyand, and "Ugly" my dark Brahma! I loved my speckled Sussex but "she" ended up being a "he" and I only had 4 hens so we rehomed him, tried two welsummers, beautiful birds, but they both died. (one very young pullet probably from shock and stress of coming to me and one older of URI. If you are really new, I'd go with pullets who are ready to go outside rather than eggs or chicks. Whatever you do, you just don't know how much fun you are going to have.

Don't know if you've decided on breeds yet, but I have to recommend EEs. I have five. One of them started laying two weeks ago and goes on four or five day stretches of laying with one day off and then back too it. She lays a wonderfully light greenish blue egg. Not to mention just yesterday the door to their pen opened and all ten of my chickens go out. The only ones that let me catch them were my EEs. All others ran away. I also have an australorp, jersey giant, brahma, red sex link, and silver laced wyandotte. Two of my other EEs just started laying a couple days ago and so far they seem to be following their sister and laying for a couple days before taking a break.

I find my australorp to be the loudest out of all my chickens. My red sex link I love her. While shes in the coop or pen she will let me pet and pick her up. So far she lays for about 11 days straight and then takes a day off. I live close enough to the border between new york and mass that I also needed cold hardy birds and so far I have not had any troubles with the breeds I chose. I know my wyandotte and australorp seem to be the most skittish of the bunch while the others will tolerate me petting them. If you are looking for large breeds to be food when they are done laying I would definitely go with brahmas. The one I have is at least two and a half of my EEs put together. She is a beast.

Whatever breeds you choose though, just remember you'll have your own experiences with them. No two chickens are the same in personality just like no two people are the same. So while we can all recommend breeds for you based on our experiences, you could have those breeds for months and slowly realize that they weren't what you wanted. I wish you all the luck with your chickens.

Get all different birds......................I did, that's half the fun seeing their different personalities and habits. I've got a Australthorp, Buff Orp, EE, Gold Lace Wyand, and "Ugly" my dark Brahma! I loved my speckled Sussex but "she" ended up being a "he" and I only had 4 hens so we rehomed him, tried two welsummers, beautiful birds, but they both died. (one very young pullet probably from shock and stress of coming to me and one older of URI. If you are really new, I'd go with pullets who are ready to go outside rather than eggs or chicks. Whatever you do, you just don't know how much fun you are going to have.

I'm considering it but the issue is I might have 2 of some breeds. But maybe I should just get all different ones like you said. And aw that sucks :/ A lot of people seem to be saying that so maybe I should but I don't know, I kinda want cute little fuzzy chicks xD lol

Don't know if you've decided on breeds yet, but I have to recommend EEs. I have five. One of them started laying two weeks ago and goes on four or five day stretches of laying with one day off and then back too it. She lays a wonderfully light greenish blue egg. Not to mention just yesterday the door to their pen opened and all ten of my chickens go out. The only ones that let me catch them were my EEs. All others ran away. I also have an australorp, jersey giant, brahma, red sex link, and silver laced wyandotte. Two of my other EEs just started laying a couple days ago and so far they seem to be following their sister and laying for a couple days before taking a break.

I find my australorp to be the loudest out of all my chickens. My red sex link I love her. While shes in the coop or pen she will let me pet and pick her up. So far she lays for about 11 days straight and then takes a day off. I live close enough to the border between new york and mass that I also needed cold hardy birds and so far I have not had any troubles with the breeds I chose. I know my wyandotte and australorp seem to be the most skittish of the bunch while the others will tolerate me petting them. If you are looking for large breeds to be food when they are done laying I would definitely go with brahmas. The one I have is at least two and a half of my EEs put together. She is a beast.

Whatever breeds you choose though, just remember you'll have your own experiences with them. No two chickens are the same in personality just like no two people are the same. So while we can all recommend breeds for you based on our experiences, you could have those breeds for months and slowly realize that they weren't what you wanted. I wish you all the luck with your chickens.

I haven't decided yet but I have a couple in mind. I wasn't sure about EE's but maybe I'll have to consider them.

Thanks for the info :)

Very true too and thanks again

Love my EE's. I got some. Loved them. Got more, and now raise my own. They're excellent layers. As my smallest chickens (So they wouldn't make duel purpose birds, but that's OK) they have excellent feed to egg ratio. They're friendly and fit into the flock. Nothing to not like about them. Plus they're not a cookie cutter breed. Easy to tell them (and their eggs) apart.
And kids really go for green eggs with their ham.

Love my EE's. I got some. Loved them. Got more, and now raise my own. They're excellent layers. As my smallest chickens (So they wouldn't make duel purpose birds, but that's OK) they have excellent feed to egg ratio. They're friendly and fit into the flock. Nothing to not like about them. Plus they're not a cookie cutter breed. Easy to tell them (and their eggs) apart.
And kids really go for green eggs with their ham.

That's awesome :) I doubt I'd be eating them anyways so that's just fine and probably even better. They sound amazing. I was just thinking 2 each Australorps and Buff Orps and then maybe one SLW and GLW and the Meal Maker chick but now I might have to change it up. Maybe I'll scrap the Wyandottes for now and add some EEs :)

And nice Dr. Seuss reference :p

My experiences was horrible?
The EE I have now layed maybe 3 or 4 eggs for us

it must depend on the individual birds and lines, seems like there's still a lot of variety in the breed

Back
Top Bottom