Good review for Ideal Hatchery

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by fluffychickens, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Songster

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    I just ordered assorted bantams from them. They shipped them last wednesday they were at the PO on Friday morning. I ordered 25. They sent 27. 7 Were DOA 3 died in the first hour and 7 more died in the next 12 hours. 10 are very healthy. I called them on Sunday and they called back yesterday said they would ship another 17 to me on Wednesday again. I just hope the next set do better in the mail. I agree about the PO and weather being factors. I think they are very easy to deal with and have great customer service. Not to mention they are the cheepest and run the best deals.

2. Roccomanchickens

Roccomanchickens Chirping

Apr 15, 2011
    Carroll, IA
    just an update on the cornish X chicks I received from Ideal last week - the survivors are thriving!

3. ChickenSahib

ChickenSahib Chirping

May 21, 2011
    Hayward
    It's a shame they don't allow small orders [​IMG]

4. CYGChickies

CYGChickies Chirping

Jun 13, 2011
    Ideal allows small orders. You just have to pay a box fee or something like that. The fee isn't very high I think it's a dollar per sex or type of bird under 1/4 of a box. And I think that's if you spend under $25. I was happy with the service and my chicks & keets are shipping this morning! I am so excited I can't even think straight haha! First ever shipment for me!

CYG

5. AprilW

AprilW Songster

Feb 7, 2011
    north Georgia
    How long from the date of shipment did you guys receive your chicks and what time were they ready for pick up? My chicks are to be shipped next Wednesday (yay!), but I'm concerned that they may come on Thursday which actually isn't a very good day for me as it turns out. If they won't arrive until Friday, regardless of how early, that would be perfect. Just curious how long it took you.

6. Orange Ribbon

Orange Ribbon Songster

Apr 14, 2011
    My wife ordered some partridge rocks which were shipped out Tuesday. They arrived this morning, everyone of them were alive and bouncing around like popcorn. I never saw chicks so lively!

This is our second order from Ideal, and both times everything went well.

7. Roccomanchickens

Roccomanchickens Chirping

Apr 15, 2011
    Carroll, IA
    I'm in Arkansas, they shipped on Wednesday, I got them this morning (Friday). They sent 12 replacements for the 12 I lost DoA and within the first few hours of arrival. Theses 12 were also "bouncing like popcorn", chirping, drank water and ate immediately then took a nap. I almost think that the smaller box was easier for the USPS to handle. All my "small orders" always arrived healthy and alive, it was the large box with 50 in it that didn't do well. Just a thought.

8. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Songster

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    I got my 17 replacements yesterday morning with 1 extra extra, 18 total, all live. A great assortment.

9. I got an order last week from Ideal. First time I had ordered from them.

My BFF and I tog. ordered 9. I got the 9 plus 2 males for warmth.Good thing too because it was in the 40's

The Salmon was not just right when I took it out of the box. I had warm sugar water mixed up and made sure each drank. I gave them gro-gel too and of course chick starter. The Salmon went from bad to worse and I carefully gave it Pedialyte but I lost it. I don't blame Ideal at all because there is no way when a hatchery sends 1,000's of chicks a week that all chicks will live. It was just one of those things and I would order from them again because they have a wonderful selection and are very nice on the phone.

One thing I will mention through is before the chicks were shipped I called them back to see if I could add extras of the breeds. They said they were sold out of all of them. Because I had a problem with Welp hatchery earlier this year I asked Ideal to tell me what they were sending so I could be sure I got what I ordered. They had left off one breed but were able to send it. Glad I checked.

The chicks are doing very well too.

10. Tylt33

Tylt33 Songster

Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
    Quote:You can order as few as five chickens if you get three different varieties... you only need $25 total and that includes a $7 box fee and $1 per breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: