Good Sized Flock?

We usually have aroudn 400 to 500.

This year we have cut back to around 250 of just the breeders.

I know them all: I know every sire and dam of every chicken on the place.

Keep as many as you like. Don't let ANYONE suggest to you that this number or that number is better. That is a crock.
saladin

As you may have noticed, we all keep chickens for different reasons. And we all have different conditions and set-ups. No one answer will be right for everybody. You'll have to consider your egg use, your space available, how you manage the poop as the more chickens the more poop, hens or a rooster, laws covering your area, how close are the neighbors, free range or penned, many different things before you can settle on a number.

I think you are getting some excellent advice. If you get all of the same breed, it can be a little difficult to tell them apart. For that reason, I'd suggest you consider different breeds or a "breed" that does not come in a standard color or pattern. Easter Eggers come to mind, but barnyard mutts might work well for you also. Unless you get very unlucky, I think you will enjoy the journey with chickens.

You might also want to consider the maximum you might want to keep when building a coop/run. I started with 6, built my coop to hold 12, I now have 7 Ladies and 1 Roo. Anyone with a love for animals that has chickens, has pets.

The person who got me started with chickens gave this bit of advice: he suggested not to get just one of any particular breed of chicken, but to get at least two of each kind. His observation has been that chickens of the same breed tend to pal around together, and the singletons he's had seem not to fit in with the other chickens as well.

We tried to follow this advice, but only one chick out of a clutch of D'Uccles survived, so we have one D'Uccle hybrid matched with four OEGB hybrids. Our little D'Uccle is definitely the odd chicken out in our flock. We're going to try to get a few more D'Uccles in the spring to keep her company.

My little Buckeye, Princess, is the odd girl out in our flock of three (the other two are LF brahmas), but she has no problem palling around with both of the other girls - she's such a little busybody, she just gets right up in their business and does whatever they're doing. And the brahmas seem to be fine with that. My dominant hen, Ghoti, gets very upset when Princess is separated from her for any length of time (i.e. by me taking Princess inside to snuggle her); and Kitty and Princess often snuggle together on the perch and in the dust wallow (and sometimes in the porch chairs). I wonder if size plays a role? Princess isn't all that much smaller than the brahmas, and her chutzpah makes up for any small size difference.
lol.png

If you're like most of the rest of us here you will start small......but then watch out!! This site is simply full of "enablers". Build yourself a BIG coop and a BIG run 'cause whatever you start with will grow quickly.

We started with 8 Buff Orp girls and 1 rooster last March (thats March 2009). We now have between 55 and 60 all varying ages, breeds, colors, etc....

Find a few that you like the looks of and the personality of and go from there.

My personal favorites right now are the Delawares. Mine follow me around the yard just like my dog.

Good luck and WELCOME

I'm going to agree with what most everyone has said. Look into the things that are most important to you in a chicken:
- Cost (Size/Feed Ratio)
- Egg Production
- Meat
- Space (neighbors, freerange vs. coop)
- Laws
- Sex
- Waste

I started with 8 chickens, all from the same breeder. Some Buff Orps, SLW's, Barred Rocks, and Black Australopes. Soon I had 22 and a White Leghorn roo (avatar). Chickens are extremely easy to keep (within a certain number) and easy to please
cool.png
. I'm a college student who works, goes to school, and does accounting for a few gas stations - yet I find at least 2 hrs a day to hang with the chickens. And the egg problem...i think you'll have plenty of friends who will take them off your hands
ep.gif
. Poop is no big deal, just do a deep litter method or something similar. Remember to look around and choose what chickes you really want, which is something best done in the Spring (as a lot of birds are taking some time off for the winter).

Back
Top Bottom